PDA

View Full Version : New 10TH XP 308

sooner44
07-31-2014, 10:39 PM
Hello all !

Just got my new Savage model 10 Trophy Hunter in .308 in today, there's always something magical about carrying a new firearm home :)

The rifle came with the wood stock, which i prefer along with the accutrigger. The last Savage I owned was a 12FP in .308 and it was one sweet rifle.
Nevermind the older Stevens 200 thrown in back of the safe.

The 10 XP was a little surprising based on the Savages I have owned in the past,regarding the changes in rifles. I'm not a big fan of plastic on any of my hunting rifles, but hey, it's 2014. My carry gun is plastic, my mags for it are plastic and this pistol is highly regarded, so I can tolerate the plastic floor plate and surrounding metal until the replacement metal parts are common. The wood stock is nice, not over done with a nice satin finish, great for hunting. The finish is good on the barrel, however finish on receiver (the barrel end of the receiver) was so thin that it has already started discoloring the metal with rust, and I didn't care much for that, but .. what happens after it leaves the factory ? Who knows !

The rifle was filthy out of the box, i spent a couple of hours cleaning the rust and, powder residue and plain 'ole "funk" out of the chamber and bore, oiled it up and all looks good.
Overall, I'm happy with the rifle for what I paid for it and the purpose it was bought, hunting. I took off the Nikon scope, bases and ring and mounted a Luepold VXII with a DNZ mount and hopefully it's ready for the range. I sure hope it shoots like my last Savage :)

ou

roscoe69
08-01-2014, 08:41 AM
got to love wood