PDA

View Full Version : wantin to start wildcattin

Hutch
04-02-2010, 12:14 PM
been thinkin bout wildcats for along time now. Really got no idea where or how to start, other than pickin an aready done wildcat an git after it. On that note I've always wanted to do a 14/221 walker. I really think that's gonna be my first one, simply cause i can git a pac-nor barrel all ready to go. Reckon i'll neead some dies and try to find some one to make some bullets.

How hard is it to make a good quality bullet anyhow??

Now if I can just sneak some more packages in without the misses noticing ::)

Hutch

BrentWin
04-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Hutch,

For your first wild cat, I would suggest something a little more "normal". I have no experience with the 14/221 walker, but I would suspect that very small increases in powder could make pressure jump dramatically in such a small diameter barrel.

Just my opinion

Hutch
04-02-2010, 05:27 PM
point taken, but man! that sucker sure would be fun around my woods. Be real easy on the fur too, i reckon

Hutch

Hutch
04-02-2010, 05:40 PM
now mind you, I've been reloadin for about 16 years,semi-presision loadin for about the last 5,bout the last year or so I've really started to pay close attention the little details and have really been asstounded by the kind of accuracy one can attain with virtually any cartridge.

I'll definently do alot more studying on the subject before i start throwin down hard earned cash, otherwise my wife will skin me.

A lathe is on my will get list. That way I cut out most if not all the labor cost of wildcattin.

All in time.....

Hutch ;)

stevec
04-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Hutch, The only .14cal bullet that comes to mind is made by Calhoon(If still in buisness) Do you have the P.O. Ackley books? Thaere is some good info in them on the 14 cals, and about anything else ever dereamed up.

The first rifle I built was a wildcat(6-284) and now I have owned or do own several (6-250AI, 6CBX,6.5-284,6-204,20 TAC, and working on the
6 TAC) If you like to tinker and blow lots of cash it is the hobby for you!

Steve

stevec
04-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Hutch, I found this.

for bullets try http://www.extremeaccuracy.net/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=81

Info http://www.14caliber.com/

Steve

TOO Builder
04-02-2010, 07:24 PM
My first wildcat was my 6.5x55AI. I was pretty nervous about fire forming and what not but I found it to be easy. They shot every bit as good as the fire formed loads. As the others have mentioned be ready for a steep increase in the price of dies. If you don't have one particular caliber picked out keep a watch on the trader boards for dies and if a set comes up that sounds interesting to you then there is a chance you can save a chunk of change. Good luck, TB

Blue Avenger
04-02-2010, 08:10 PM
ambitious. You go right to the expensive ones.

Apache
04-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Very expensive ones!

Bad thing is.......once the wildcat bug bites, it never gets better! And you're never satisfied until you build the one that "itches"

Actually you can wildcat on a budget if you're careful about which cats you go with. I use a lot of wildcats that use standard dies and reamers, therefore no expensive custom dies are needed nor custom reamers (kinda anyway). Most are based on the bench rest series.....as in 30BR die with the appropriate bushings.

The parent case is very important. I try to use only Lapua brass when I can because it lasts so long.

Go for it! You'll love it!

Hutch
04-02-2010, 09:42 PM
ambitious. You go right to the expensive ones.

That's me man! I hunt pigs with a longbow, Deer on the ground, squirrels with open sites....doing it the hard way!!!wooooo!

Steve, thanks for the links!! 2 thumbs up bro.

Just, ah, don't tell my wife these are the expensive ones. I've got this bad habit of being drawn to expensive habits. I don't know, it's just in me

Go for it! You'll love it!......famous last words ;)......possibly ::)

Now I realize this wildcat pursuit is going to be a slow process for me, and my marriage. But, this is something that is ALWAYS on my mind, constantly thinkin I wonder "if" but I promise you this will not be just a pipe dream!!

Hutch

BrentWin
04-02-2010, 09:56 PM
I'm not questioning your ability and certainly not your ambition. I just think that you would be better off not starting out on the ragged edge.

Hutch
04-02-2010, 10:13 PM
no worries Brent....not startin there just sayin I'm GONNA have a 14/221...more than likely I'll start small with some AI's to some current rifles, just to get a feel for this, and, to ease my budget into this new realm of existence....and believe me the ragged edge is where I sleep!!!!

Hutch

MikeCTX
04-02-2010, 11:30 PM
Hutch, The only .14cal bullet that comes to mind is made by Calhoon(If still in buisness) Do you have the P.O. Ackley books? Thaere is some good info in them on the 14 cals, and about anything else ever dereamed up.

The first rifle I built was a wildcat(6-284) and now I have owned or do own several (6-250AI, 6CBX,6.5-284,6-204,20 TAC, and working on the
6 TAC) If you like to tinker and blow lots of cash it is the hobby for you!

Steve

Hey Steve, not to take away from the OP, but what can you tell me about the 6 TAC? PM works fine or share in another thread.

Hutch..couple of quick and easy wildcats would be the 20 Practical/Tactical or 6mm-223 (aka 6x45) - all based off the 223 parent - 20 practical is just necked down 223 to 204, the 6x45 is necked up 223 to 6mm, easy to work with and a nice way to start with wildcat - AI 'em and there are more choices. It is an itch to be scratched :) have one, want another one....loads of fun.

pa hog
04-03-2010, 07:58 AM
I've done a couple of AI's, I think my favorite so far is the 250AI. Really easy to form and real accurate.