PDA

View Full Version : bullets for f class ????????

acemisser
07-31-2014, 11:16 AM
Maybe not the correct place to post,but what the hell.
Worth a shot anyway.
My question to you is..
Why will regular hunting type bullets not be competive..
Some of us myself included being on a fixed income..May
not be able to shoot a top BC Bullet...I am still refining
my 6 br with 8 twist..So if there is a possibility of hunting
bullets that work,I would love to hear about it..Thanks:sour:

stomp442
07-31-2014, 04:23 PM
Any bullet will work as long as it shoots good and you practice with it to know your drops and how the wind will affect it. The name of the game is wind. The higher end high BC bullets help a lot by providing less wind drift and being a little more forgiving when not judging the wind just right. I would suggest running a ballistics program with the bullet you want to shoot vs say a berger vld or match king and see what your differences will be at any given range. Close range won't make that big of a difference but 600+ could see some considerable difference.

barrel-nut
08-02-2014, 10:57 PM
Lower BC aside, the main difference between match bullets and hunting bullets is jacket thickness. Hunting bullets generally have much thicker jackets, in order to hold together on impact and give good terminal performance. With target bullets, the jacket is very thin, and usually of higher quality control as far as consistency of thickness. This should result in a bullet that has even weight distribution around the perimeter, where rotational forces have the strongest effect. A bullet that spins true, theoretically should fly true. With that being said, some "hunting" bullets can be very accurate. The Nosler Ballistic tip jumps to mind. I've had phenomenal accuracy in some rifles with those. Cost, however, is higher than many "target" bullets. For what it's worth, the Hornady A-max is the best deal going for value in a target bullet. YMMV.