PDA

View Full Version : Which action for .450 Marlin?

Salvo
07-30-2014, 09:31 AM
It looks like .450 Marlin with a case length of 2.1" would work well in a short action. I've been wondering if I could successfully re-barrel my model 16 short action (small shank) for .450 Marlin, of if I'd be better off to start with a large shank action. The small shank action is lighter, so that would be optimum if it will work.

Then there's the question of a magazine... Is there a short action center-feed magazine that will feed a belted magnum case? Though the belt is wider on a .450 Marlin, the diameter of the case is the same as a 7mm Remington Mag, .458 Winchester, etc..

Any comments appreciated, especially if anyone here has already done this conversion. My model 16 is currently set up for 7mm-08 Remington.

I'm thinking that a 22" magnum contour barrel would be about right. It would definitely need to feed reliably from a magazine for follow up shots (if needed) on dangerous game.

Top it with a good 1.5-4x scope or perhaps a 2x scout scope and one would have a creditable guide gun; Light, handy and powerful.

geargrinder
07-30-2014, 10:14 AM
Small shank will be fine. You'll just need a short action push feed magnum bolt head.

The magazine should probably work too. It may take some tweaking because of the belt.

Salvo
08-04-2014, 12:23 PM
I think the magazine may be the sticking point, unless there are short action magazines for the .284 Winchester available somewhere.

Doing some research, I discovered that the COL for .450 Marlin is 2.55" so the length should not be a problem, but the width just might be.

Don't intend to order the barrel until the magazine issue is definitively in the bag. It needs to be plug 'n play with no gunsmithing required. ( I'm a gunsmith, but I'm trying to develop a build that anybody can do. )

Currently the only .450 Marlin bolt-action is marketed by Steyr-Mannlicher, and they are quite pricey, even with a plastic stock and molded trigger guard. A nice Savage would look better, have lots of stock and finish options - and cost about half as much to put together.

Hotolds442
08-04-2014, 02:01 PM
Any reason why a 300 WSM magazine wouldn't be a good starting point?

geargrinder
08-04-2014, 03:10 PM
That's what I was thinking, but I didnt know what the belt would do.

Salvo
08-04-2014, 11:14 PM
Any reason why a 300 WSM magazine wouldn't be a good starting point?

It would probably be the best bet. I'll do some homework on this, see how much difference in diameter there is to consider. The .300 WSM is a fatter case - but it has no belt... It could be that the difference is not enough to worry about, once the diameter of the belt on the .450 Marlin is factored in.