PDA

View Full Version : 300 win mag

brianlt21
04-02-2010, 09:12 AM
I am looking for a good muzzle break for my 300 win mag it is a Stevens donor file so it is a sporter barrel 24" long. I just need some help on decide the best one for the money and also cuts a lot or recoil and muzzle jump..

rinodods
04-08-2010, 02:30 AM
I had a Vais brake installed on a varmint barrel for a 300wm build a while back. Just got a chance to shoot it over the weekend. Gotta say I expected a lot more recoil. My dad has a lot of issues with recoil after a shoulder surgery years ago and it was even comfortable for him to shoot. I'd say it feels about equal to a 308 or so. Maybe a little less. I put about 40 rounds down range in a session and felt like I had been out with my 223 for an afternoon. Besides the varmint 26" barrel the rifle is a stock 111. I never fired the rifle before the brake so can't say much about overall recoil reduction. You'll also have to decide if you want a brake that needs to be timed. The Vais does not but if you are looking at some of the hollands and such you'll need to get the barrel headspaced and mark the top for your installer so that your brake vents will align properly after barrel is installed. Of course that also means if you should ever switch your barrel out or sell it you run the risk of the brake being out of time.

mopar440
04-10-2010, 05:56 AM
i know alot guys on another forums use holland QD, allen pain killer, defensive edge, and center shots muscle brake the muscle brake is like combination of a straight baffled brake(holland and DE) and angled baffled brake (allen pain killer) they say angled does more for recoil but has alot of muzzle blast and straight works well with minial blast allens is the most exspensive of these and holland and DE the cheapest around $80 and muscle is around $115 all unfitted just the brake both allen and center shot have varying models some cheaper and some more exspensive i have selected the muscle for my 338 edge this a vary apoinated subject but almost all will help with recoil.

ellobo
04-10-2010, 08:04 PM
How about MagnaPort? Dont hear much about them anymore, but seems like a better alternative.

El Lobo

McKinneyMike
04-10-2010, 08:15 PM
How about MagnaPort? Dont hear much about them anymore, but seems like a better alternative.

El Lobo

For a brake to be effective on recoil, it has to have more surface area than the Vias or the Magnaport style brakes. The Muscle Brake, the Allen Pain Killer, the Defensive Edge, the Holland QD and the brakes from Straight Shot Gunsmithing brakes are the most effective on recoil.
The other issue with the Vias style brakes is that if you shoot prone, they kick up a lot of debris.