PDA

View Full Version : New Savage and high hopes

gundogblue
07-29-2014, 10:20 PM
I got a new Savage last week, from what I can find out it's a limited edition model that Savage made for Cabelas, from what I under stand Savage does that with regularity. Mine is a Model 16 in .223, 1 in 9 twist, with the accu-stock, accu-trigger, and a stainless 24 inch fluted barrel, and receiver. I know Savage rifles are shooters as I have a 10 FP with the HS Precision stock in .308, 5 shot groups @ 100 yrds in the 0.3's are not uncommon with that rifle, and my hand loads. On this rifle I bought a Hakwe Endurance 30 SF 6x24x50 scope with the Marksman BDC retical, the scope has been redesigned and is new for 2014. While I just mounted the scope today and hav'nt had a chance to shoot with it, my first impressions are very good, anyway I have real high hopes that my new rig will be a shooter, I'll find out this Thurs when I take her to the range. I loaded some Hornaday 68gr BTHP match bullets behind 25 grs of Varget, Hornaday cases, and CCI 400 primers. I also loaded some 75gr Hornaday BTHP match bullets with 24 grs of Varget, hopfully these will be two good loads to "start" with.
Paul

Chrazy-Chris
07-30-2014, 12:14 AM
Nice! You should be set with that Accu-trigger and accu-stock. I've never heard of that scope; you'll have to let us know how you like it. I've been wanting a 6-24x50. What mounts/rings did you go with?

Wouldn't the 75grainers be too heavy for the 1:9 twist? I have a box of 75gr A-Max and it says "1:8 twist only" on the box. Not sure how much one inch makes, but I know in the world of ARs people are pretty persnickety about 1:7 vs 1:8 vs 1:9. I've noticed bolt gun .223s tend to have a slower twist rate. I always figured this was because they were marketed as varmint guns which people would shoot lighter, faster bullets in.

LoneWolf
07-30-2014, 02:00 AM
Bolt guns tend to have longer barrels and no gas system to operate, so it is very easy to push rounds at higher velocity than the AR can. I don't think you'll have any issues with the 75's.

gundogblue
07-30-2014, 07:31 AM
The rifle came from Savage with two piece scope mounts, the rings are Weaver 6 hole tactical, I have them on my 10 FP and I like them alot. Hawke is a British company thats been here about 8 yrs, and the people that have them seem to like them alot, the scope is built well, the turrets have nice audible clicks that feel good, I have a Vortex Viper 6x20x44 PA BDC on my 10 FP, and an older (2001) Nikon Monarch 6.5x20x44 UCC that was made in Japan on my varmint AR. The Hawke scope seems as clear as the Vortex, and so darn close to the Nikon that you really have to give it a critical look when compairing clearity. It comes with a 4 inch sunshade, and Hawke's own flip-up scope covers, the list price is about $400.00, and the street price about $369.00, check out hawke optics.com. But this is all subjective until I actually shoot the rifle and scope, I'll give a full range report after tomorrow, another thing thats nice, Hawke has there own ballistic calculator that can be down-loaded on a PC, Mac, or Iphone, and Android. But thats a little ways down the road, first I have to sight her in, and find a load she really likes, then I'll put her on the Chorny, then I can play with the ballistic calculator, it'll be fun. My AR has a Spikes lower with a CMC trigger that I built, and a WOA 20 inch target/varmint upper built by John Holinger with a 1 in 12 twist, and she loves 50 and 53 gr V-max bullets, she's a solid 1/4 inch 5 shot group @100yrd gun, and I hope with the right loads the new Savage will shoot just as well.
Paul

Chrazy-Chris
07-30-2014, 08:39 AM
Gundog- just a heads up that if it came with the scope mounts on the gun they may not be torqued down or loctited. I made that assumption once...

gundogblue
07-30-2014, 01:37 PM
Good point, it crossed my mind but I thought nah, but now that you mention it I really do need to check them, it can save me a big head ache down the road.
Paul