PDA

View Full Version : Hogue Stock not straight

romad97
07-29-2014, 04:36 PM
I received my hogue full bed block stock today. Full of exitment I quickly bolted my barreled action into it. Well the exitment didn't last long. The barrel is touching on the left side of the stock. I tried to twist it straight but, without putting a lot of pressure on it it just won't budge. I guess I will be returning this stock. I am little dissapointed as the stock felt decently made. It was fairly stiff and I liked the rubber grip that it had. Now I guess I am back in the market for a stock. I tried a boyds thimbhole which I wasn't crazy about. Now i have tried the hogue which obviously has some QC problems. Outside of waiting 6 months for a custom made stock I am not sure what to try next.

sharpshooter
07-29-2014, 07:46 PM
It could be that your barreled action is crooked.

Salvo
07-29-2014, 08:15 PM
I have a Hogue pillar bedded stock for a 98 Mauser that touched on one side of the barrel channel. I few moments work with a moto-tool fixed that, but I probably should have sent it back for a replacement.

eddiesindian
07-29-2014, 09:47 PM
The composite didnt set/cool correctly after it was molded onto the alum. bed block.
My Choate tactical stock was the same way. "But"....the stock doesnt touch the barrel on mine though so I could live with it that way. I considered using heat guns with the alum block bolted to a temp holding fixture but didnt attempt it. Too much of a hassle. The stock shoots perfect. 95% of shooters dont even notice the stock to barrel alignment on my rig. Frankly I forgot about it too untill I read your post.
Bummer you have to send it back though.

Chrazy-Chris
07-30-2014, 12:18 AM
I bought one of these for a 10/22 build and it had the same issue. Since it is only a 10/22 and has such a heavy barrel, I just live with it. It doesn't seem to affect accuracy on that rifle, but then again it is a 22lr and not subject to nearly the same level of barrel flex.

That's a shame, I really like the feel and looks of these stocks and was considering getting the ghillie tan one for my 30-06 sporter hunting rifle.