PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy savage barrels.

Pages : [1] 2

J-Bear
07-28-2014, 10:05 PM
I was wondering what was a good place to buy a replacement savage barrel. Also what barrel brands provide a good product for the price?

foxx
07-28-2014, 10:41 PM
All the aftermarket barrels in the $300 range are good and none seem to have a better rep than the others.

If you'd like something more in the $180 range, Apache Gun Works does great work with less expensive blanks. He has very god reputation and loyal customers who swear by his work. I have a 260AI from him and a 450BM on order. Of course, he also will work with te hig end barrels if you like. He has a good story on his web site, as well. Check it out.

I also have a McGowen 260AI from McGowen Outlet I am very happy with. Dennis is the sales rep there, good guy.

You can also check with Fred from Sharp Shooter Supply and Jim from Northland Shooters Supply. Both are fine men with good barrels from different companies.

You can't go wrong with any of these guys and their products.

Anothr source for used and sometimes unfired aftermarket and factory barrels is the classified section here. There are barrels for sale here almost all the time for CHEAP!.

My best shooter was bought from a fellow member here.

Good luck.

bootsmcguire
07-28-2014, 11:18 PM
Foxx pretty much covered most of them.

My favorite to nobody's surprise is Apache Gunworks (http://www.apachegunworks.com). Jim does great work, great prices, and his machining is top notch. He will make it how you want it, and gets it to you quicker than the bigger guys. As for accuracy, its neck and neck between the barrels Jim built me on Green Mountain Blanks and all my other barrels. Give him a call, you can thank me later. ;)

Dennis
07-29-2014, 12:20 AM
Apache (Jim) is a good person. I wish I was closer (distance) to him.

DrThunder88
07-29-2014, 12:52 AM
I got a Shilen pre-fit off Midway, which was a bit more expensive than some other vendors, but I "needed" it right away instead of in a few weeks or months. They also happened to have what I wanted in stock, which contributed to its ready availability.

grendelguy
07-29-2014, 07:31 AM
I bought my first aftermarket barrel from Jim @Apache Gun works and I couldn't be more pleased. The barrel. only has 25 rnds down it and looks like it will be a better than .5" shooter. He gets a +1 from me

Steelhead
07-29-2014, 08:55 AM
Shilen prefit.
Quite happy with it.

rob.dizz.89
07-30-2014, 03:04 AM
Gun Shack also carries barrels. They carry more expensive (and high quality) barrels from McGowen, along with more economically-priced barrels from ER Shaw ($200/barrel) which are as good, most are better than, factory barrels in terms of accuracy.If you're looking to just replace your Savage barrel I would go with ER Shaw, but if you're looking to upgrade, I would go with Shilen, McGowen, Brux, Douglas...the list goes on and on, you just need to figure out what you're willing to spend and go from there....I just recently bought a McGowen barrel from the McGowen outlet online. Dennis is a great guy to work with, he always answered my emails promptly whether I had a question, or just wanted to find out the status of my order.

cjgemm
07-30-2014, 07:52 PM
what happend to Sinarms?

bootsmcguire
07-31-2014, 12:54 AM
what happend to Sinarms?

He's still around far as I know.

www.sin-arms.com (http://www.sin-arms.com)

cjgemm
07-31-2014, 05:25 PM
Hmm, no responce to my pm.

earl39
08-01-2014, 08:29 AM
Hmm, no responce to my pm. You have to give Devin time. I always had better luck calling no matter who it was.

Redandwhite_72
08-05-2014, 04:23 PM
what happend to Sinarms?

From what he tells me, he's in the process of moving his shop. He told me he's hoping to be back up and running shortly. I've been waiting for him to build my barrel since January.

cjgemm
08-05-2014, 05:59 PM
Wow,

I've only been waiting since April.

Dewey7271
08-08-2014, 03:31 PM
Just received my first barrel from Jim at Apache. I can only echo what others have said. Great guy, great barrel at a good price.

D.ID
08-08-2014, 08:17 PM
Just received my first barrel from Jim at Apache. I can only echo what others have said. Great guy, great barrel at a good price.

+1.......I had Jim do up a shilin blank not long ago and he's working on another barrel for us right now. Dollar for dollar: Wow, just....... WOW.
I have had good luck with barrels from mcgowen and northland. But all things considered Jim at Apache has got my business and endorsement.

shagerott
08-08-2014, 08:38 PM
+1 - Jim @ Apache is good to go. I have one of his barrels and it is one of the best at the price.

cranebird
08-09-2014, 09:25 AM
Another vote for Apache gun works. Jim does excellent work but I knew that before I ever purchased the barrel because Boots told me so. ;)

bootsmcguire
08-09-2014, 07:22 PM
Another vote for Apache gun works. Jim does excellent work but I knew that before I ever purchased the barrel because Boots told me so. ;)

I wouldn't steer you guys wrong. :cool:

Rob44
10-10-2014, 12:16 AM
I had Jim build me a 7MM-08 for my savage 110 308 EZ swap and the Barrel was first quality,, At the range the Heavy sporter is great but it brings the weight up to about 9.3 Lbs Scoped,,for hunting the sporter barrel makes better sense ,Accuracy is very good 3shot covered with a .25 at 155yds was mind blowing,,needless to say my next barrel will come from Apache