PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Viper box test

Pages : [1] 2

pdog06
04-01-2010, 10:45 PM
While at the range today I did a 100yd box test on my Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 to test its repeatability, and thought Id share the results for those who are wondering how they do. I already knew the repeatability was good cause I used it prarie dog hunting last year and never lost zero, but had some bullets left and figured Id do it.

The gun I was using was a factory LRPV in 22-250, shooting 50gr UMC factory ammo. The scope is mounted in Burris Sig Zee rings with inserts, which are mounted on Warne steel 2pc bases.

I started with a shot in the dot, followed by a shot 4moa up and right(1oclock position), then 8moa down, then 8moa left, then 8moa up, then back to zero at the dot. I shot once at each position, then moved to the next, and did three rounds of this in that exact order, which gave me 3 shots at each of the four corners, and then I fired 2 final shots in the center at the end to give me a 5 shot bullseye group.

All in all I think the scope performed this test perfect. The groups are great considering the ammo used to do the test. I would actually like to perform the test again at 200yds., and maybe do a bigger square(like maybe 10moa or something. If I go back and shoot this weekend I will try to fit it in, and post pics of those results also.

Glad I got 2 of these, and am ordering another one tomorrow(actually 2, one for me and one for EFBell ;D).

note: the shot w/the X across it was my first shot off zero, and after I shot it I decided to make the box bigger so I doubled the adj from 2moa to 4moa.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t106/pdog06_photos/April003.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t106/pdog06_photos/march077.jpg

mods: if you feel this thread would be better placed in the review section feel free to move it....

Slowpoke Slim
04-01-2010, 11:44 PM
I think I've about got myself talked into trying one. I think I'll try the mil-dot, same size scope as you're reviewing, and see if I like it for pd's to 500-600 yds. It'll sit on my 243 I'm building.

EFBell
04-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Slim, you get your action yet?

Slowpoke Slim
04-02-2010, 11:26 PM
Ed,

Nope, not yet. I'm tied up until Monday, I plan on checking with my FFL again then. Hopefully it's in. Do you know when it was shipped?

EFBell
04-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Should have went out monday or tuesday last week. It should be sitting there waiting for you by now.

EFBell
04-09-2010, 12:08 PM
My Viper should be here today. I hope for some nice calm weather this weekend so I can try it out. It's been windy as all heck these past several days.

pa hog
04-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Ed, your gonna hate that scope ship it to me to be disposed of.

EFBell
04-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Justin, I heard you already have more of them than you have rifles. What would you do with it?

pa hog
04-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Bird watch

Hammer
04-09-2010, 02:58 PM

Understand the different grades of Leupold and Bushnell.

Have not studied the Vortex brand of scopes.

Not to impose too much work on anyone, but...

What are the different grades of Vortex scopes and their distinguishing factors and price range ?

Slowpoke Slim
04-11-2010, 12:15 AM
I believe it goes: Crossfire, Diamondback, Viper - in that order from "lowest" to "highest" quality. I've only ever looked through a Viper, but I liked what I saw. I just plunked the money down for one myself.

If you go to the SSS website, they have a breakdown of the Vortex scopes under "Optics" on the left.

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

Slowpoke Slim
04-11-2010, 08:24 AM
Here you go Hammer,

This is the Vortex website. Lots of info there on the different optic lines:

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/riflescopes

EFBell
04-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Bird watch

Speeking of bird watching? ::) :-X

Oh, back on subject here, that Viper is one nice piece of glass for the money! The turrets are positive and the side focus works slick. as far as the glass is concerned in my opinion it is easily the equal of the 4200 elites that I have. Also has some 3 times the adjustment range for windage and elevation for about the same price.

11fcns
05-09-2011, 01:52 AM
i have the same scope and been having problems with it. so much i sent the first one back to Vortex and am on my second one. the repeatability of adjustments is good. its the amount of "zero" movement per click.

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv211/mxuanl/Armory/BoxTest.jpg

all mine group fine its where they hit per adjustment. the un-circled shots are mine and the circled ones are my friends doing the box test after me. for example the lower left target. from center that should be 2 MOA right, and 3 MOA down. look where the bullets hit and the lower left. whats up?

pdog06
05-09-2011, 08:42 PM
That issue may or may not be the scope, but we dont know all your data.

First off you cannot expect a decent group at each target when using 2 shooters. Lots of variables can be different(eyesight, cheekweld, ability, etc). Add in parallax

Other things that can throw the test off as well are things like: cleaning barrel during test period, variations in load, uneven cooling times between shots, uneven dialing of scope adjustments, etc.

BTW, that left target bullseye is actually 2moa down/2moa left from the main center bullseye. Not 2moa right/3moa down. Assuming those are 1moa blocks of course.

I dont know, could be a problem with the scope I guess. But would rule out all the other variables first. Are you having the same issues with the replacement scope they sent you? and did they find anything wrong with the original scope? If you're still having issues then it is most likely some other problem.

11fcns
05-10-2011, 02:04 AM
sorry i meant lower right target. spoke to Scott at Vortex and suggested i look at my rings so that is the next step. this is the second scope. the first was replaced with this one as it had a weak erector spring in it. the 2 shots at the upper left, lower left and lower right are pretty close considering their from 2 different shooters. the circled shots are a friends and the uncircled are mine.

bgc
05-10-2011, 08:34 AM
What rings and bases are you using? How are they secured? Are the rings parallel and lapped?

11fcns
05-10-2011, 07:16 PM
i have the XTR med rings with the EGW base. the rings are not lapped and must not be parallel if they're the problem.

bgc
05-10-2011, 07:26 PM
The XTR rings are the Burris Tactical 6 screw rings correct? I wonder if the scope is shifting under recoil? Or could the "Cant of the rifle" be the issue. That setup would put the center of the scope quiet high.

11fcns
05-10-2011, 07:42 PM
yea, 6 screws. the scope bell is quite high off the barrel. called Burris and told them the scope and mount i wanted to use and they said the med if not high rings were needed. they were wrong. the height isn't much of a factor. with my stock pack i get a good cheek weld and scope/eye sight line up. it just looks really high. heres a pic of the rifle. this one isn't a Savage so here ya go...

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv211/mxuanl/Armory/SPS-Vscope_angle1.jpg

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv211/mxuanl/Armory/SPS-Vscope_right.jpg