PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the lightest stock for a Mod 10?

mtcur3
07-28-2014, 11:47 AM
I'm changing the barrel on my Model 10 .223 to .300 Blackout. I'd like to make the whole gun as light as possible. It will be a close range supressed sub sonic shooter.
What do you suggest?

mtcur3
07-29-2014, 08:50 PM
We'll it looks like this is not a very high priority question. I've been searching the usual sights comparing various stock weights. So far I've found nothing that has really separated itself from the pack. When I do I'll be sure and post back. I may end up whittling away at the factory stock.

foxx
07-29-2014, 09:29 PM
I didn't answer before b/c I don't know. However, if it's for close range, and you want it light weight, why not just use a plastic factory stock? I don't see anything wrong with them in that case. Just my opinion, wondering about yours.

sixonetonoffun
07-29-2014, 11:23 PM
I don't have the answer definitively. I have seen several members get 7 1/2 pound rigs using factory wood stocks. Drilling.the buttstock and.routering the barrel channel go a long way. But you didn't say what your preference was outside of lightest. Some of the new.chassis are getting very lightweight. Many people are happy with the Boyds lightweight thumbhole varmit stock.

Good luck and.let us know what you come up with.

jpdown
07-30-2014, 12:05 AM
The lightest Savage SA CF DBM stocks are factory plastic stocks and the walnut stock used on the Savage 11 LWH (24 to 26 oz). The Manners Edge stock is one of the lightest aftermarket composite stocks, if cost is not a limiting factor. The Stockade Hunter is a fairly light (28 to 32 oz) composite stock.

mtcur3
07-30-2014, 06:46 AM
Hey! Thanks for the leads! I thought of a Savage plastic stock, but have not seen one for the Model 10. I did go to Manners and found the MCS-EH3 at 24-25 ounces. It looks like it would be in the $500+ range. That did give me pause, but it is doable. I like the idea of using the Savage walnut stock. What I need to do is weight the factory wood stock and then go from there. My Blackout barrel is on the way according to Gun Shack. Our preferred method of hunting is what we in the South cal, still hunting, which is just slipping slowly and quietly through the woods and thickets. Eight out of ten of our deer are shot at under 50 yards. When we are not still hunting we set up ultra-light hang on stands in thick areas over good sign. In reality we us a lot of bow hunting strategies. As our rural areas build up, I believe that a suppressed rifle with subsonic loads will go a long way to keeping the peace with the neighbors and opening up those game rich pockets that occur as an area builds up. Right now we are taking advantage of the small game opportunities with PCP air rifles.
Thank you all again.

sixonetonoffun
07-30-2014, 11:24 AM
Our state forbids supressors. Hearing my closest nieghbors shooting on a daily basis usually puts me in the mood to fire off a few rounds myself. Though practicing with the mags has had guests next door jump out of their skin.

I can understand the fears but... it sucks for us law abiding citizens to have the state protecting us from ourselves. On the other hand I have seen abuses. Poachers used to terrorize elderly farmers into disking roads though their woods and meadows. Creating endless hunting trails and short cuts to evade wardens.

That was only 25 years ago and am sure it goes on today other more rural areas.

Dano5001
07-30-2014, 11:46 PM
I have a Manners on order, expensive but it was the lightest I could find.

rockcreek
07-31-2014, 07:47 AM
Mtcur3, which suppressor are you going to run on your blackout?

Stockrex
07-31-2014, 08:32 AM
so how does boyd's laminate compare in terms of weight?

jpdown
07-31-2014, 10:34 AM
Laminated stocks are heavier than walnut or hardwood stocks of the same style. A Boyd's stock is going to be in the 2.5 to 3 pound range from my experience. I once bought a Boyd's laminated thumbhole stock that was advertised as "featherweight". It weighed 3 Lbs. unfinished. I got a lot of experience in the early years of my Savage addiction trying to build a light-weight Savage mountain rifle. I promise you, the easiest and cheapest way is to just go buy a Savage 11/111 Light Weight Hunter. If you don't like the 20" barrel. Sell it as a new take-off, in the classified's and put a 22" Savage factory sporter barrel, or #2 contour barrel on it. If money is tight, pick up a Savage hardwood stock from Numrich Gun Parts and hollow out the buttstock. Duracoat it with what ever colors you choose. It it will be a lot better stock and investment when finished than trying to stiffen up a Savage tupperware stock as all Savage newbie's attempt to do at one time or another, me included. It should end up in the 2 to 2.5 lb weight range depending on if you add a 1" recoil pad. Oh yea, you are going to need a good recoil pad. Because light rifles kick more and they are harder to shoot well consistently when compared to a heavier rifle in the same caliber.

big honkin jeep
07-31-2014, 11:50 PM
double post

big honkin jeep
07-31-2014, 11:51 PM
I'm changing the barrel on my Model 10 .223 to .300 Blackout. I'd like to make the whole gun as light as possible. It will be a close range supressed sub sonic shooter.
What do you suggest?

My suggestion would be to whack about 6" off of a factory sporter barrel to get it down to 16" and thread it. Then cut a couple of inches off the rear of a factory synthetic stock and reprofile the recoil pad. you could probably shorten up the forearm if you want but I like the reinforcement provided by the shape and the extra hand room on the fore arm.

Add lightweight 2 piece mounts (provide better ejection port access) and a lightweight scope like a 2-7x

I haven't gotten around to the mounts and glass on this one yet instead using parts I had laying around to get some optics on it and shoot, then, I made an adjustable cheekrest to get my eye to line up right with the scope sitting so high on a picatinny rail. All this looks sorta cool but defeats the purpose of chopping it down to save weight. The cheekpiece though it works well will go and the holes will be epoxied when I get the other parts in place.

This rig is 37" overall light and very handy. Being .308 it will reach out and smack things that need shooting around the farm from a pretty long ways out :)

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/bighonkinjeep/Carbine/e1e37a21-8c36-450d-983e-f299cdec3e1e_zps58a82883.jpg (http://s176.photobucket.com/user/bighonkinjeep/media/Carbine/e1e37a21-8c36-450d-983e-f299cdec3e1e_zps58a82883.jpg.html)

mtcur3
08-02-2014, 01:50 PM
rockcreek, I will be running the Silencerco Octane 9 when the ATF allows me to take it home. It will probably be another 6 months.
jpdown, I will work with the factory wood stock that I have as you suggested. I've added kickeez recoil pads on some of my other guns, so that is very doable. I did not know duracoat would work on wood. I'll look into that as well.
big honking jeep that is a nice looking rifle! The tip about the 2 piece mounts providing better ejection port access was good two. Some have reported problems with with the Blackout.

wrench man
08-03-2014, 02:10 PM
I got rid of the OE Tupperware stock on my 10 because the rifle was so light weight to shoot it was literally a PAIN! to shoot!, I let it go with the take off barrel.

Savage6x284
08-04-2014, 08:40 PM
My blind mag McMillan Hunter's EDGE for my 6-284 116 came in between 21-22oz.
Could've saved an ounce or so by skipping the paint.
Superb stock in every way and not too expensive for the quality and performance you get.

Brown Precision makes the Pound'r stock which usually come in closer to 20oz. Fantastic stock as well but very expensive.

Lone Wolf at one time made what was billed as a 12oz. stock but I don't know if they are still in business. IIRC you had to ship them your BA and they literally built the stock around it.
VERY expensive.

I have one MPI stock and it's the lightest stock I have at 19.3oz.
Very nice, stiff stock with great ergos but I prefer the fill in the McMillan EDGE over that in the MPI. IIRC MPI runs a bit higher in price than the EDGE too.

Never tried a Robertson but would like to.

Everything said and done I think the McM EDGE is the best buy out there for top quality lightweight composite stocks.