PDA

View Full Version : Stock help?

Tack
07-27-2014, 01:55 AM
Hi all, I'm just planning a cheap build and have found a stevens 200 in 300 win mag. My issue is with the stock. I have read that the plastic fantastic will flex too much under recoil in this calibre. Is it true that a stock for a savage 110 will fit? I'd love a Boyd's walnut with all the bells and whistles but can't import to Aus. I want it to be a light carry rifle but don't want it to displace my shoulder either. Muzzle brake also yes or no?

Thanks
Tack

big honkin jeep
07-27-2014, 11:44 AM
Take what you have read with a grain of salt and go shoot it to find out.
I doubt you will notice any ill effects or barrel contact.
I have been reading the same thing for years. I have been shooting quite a few old style synthetic stocks as well and personally have not noticed stock flex affecting anything.
Yeah you can probably put pressure against it and push it into the barrel but under real shooting conditions is that going to happen? In my experience probably not. I have factory stocks on everything from a model 11 .243 to a 116 in .300RUM with quite a few in between and some of these rifles really turn heads with their accuracy.
A 110 stock will fit as long as the action screw holes and magazine design match up.
There are lots of opinions on muzzle brakes as well but I love them, especially in long action or magnum calibers. They can really make a big difference with the down side being the noise. On a Win Mag I wouldn't hesitate. A good slip on type recoil pad will help a lot too if the added length of pull is tolerable. It's hard to shoot well if you know it's going to hurt so in my opinion recoil reduction for the Win Mag is a great idea.

Tack
07-27-2014, 06:41 PM
Thanks BHJ, it's not going to be a daily shooter so might get a brake fitted and go from there. Just wasn't sure if I needed to go down the axis stock reinforcement path. It's good to know that I can get another stock to fit too.
Thanks
Tack

Blitzfike
07-28-2014, 07:16 PM
My 300 win mag long range build started out as a new (Last Year) model Stevens 200. I kept the action and stock, replaced the trigger with a rifle basix Sav1, (I use this for hunting as well as long range target) A Shilen heavy stainless barrel with a JP Tank Brake on it. I stiffened the stock with some epoxy with steel dust from grinding imbedded in it and a couple of short sections of fiberglass rod used as the strength strand from fiber optic cable. It shot very well with the factory plastic stock, but I wanted to add a liittle weight and stiffness to it to see what it would do. It did make it feel more substantial to me, but I can't tell that it made it any more accurate. Beware that the New Stevens 200s came out with a really crappy trigger. Mine was assembled incorrectly from the factory in that the trigger return spring was screwed completely out of the trigger and the threaded hole filled with thread locker. Trigger pull out of the box was enormous. I couldn't get it below 8 pounds so that prompted the Rifle Basix trigger from Jim at NSS. I'm very happy with it now, it has a big millet long range scope on it and does very well.