PDA

View Full Version : Which 6mm?

Pages : 1 [2]

scooterf79
07-29-2014, 05:25 AM
Thanks for the update and all the info. This cartridge seems to have the best of both worlds with accuracy and speed which I really like. I want to build something super accurate (for me anyway) but always love speed, especially for varmints. Your update on the other thread sounds like the accuracy is fantastic! .2s???? Thats awesome! Sounds as though this might be right with the 6-284 with speed isnt it?
Gotcha on it fitting a 308 box. The 700 I'll convert is just what I happen to have so thats why I wanted to make sure a short action cartridge.
I dont think ill go with the neck turn option, unless theres some advantage to it, but if I go that route Ill be in touch :)
As far as case length, did you need to trim any after sizing down?

Rooster, Ive read some good stuff on the 6mm ai and like it but...ya cant just say something like that without throwing some numbers out...lol so...whatcha getting?

Boots, thats pretty wicked fast....we are talking major red mist factor right? Something almost magical about 4000fps, even just seein it on the chrono.

scope eye
07-29-2014, 07:28 AM
When I went down to 6mm I did not have to trim, only when i went down to 22 X 55 did I have to trim, are you going to go the barrel nut route with your 700, if you are looking for load data just use 6mm-284 and you will be fine, with some load work up you will end up sending 75gr bullets over 4000 fps, heck I have been sending 87gr Vmax's over 3800 fps, so there is your Red Mist effect, I have found that Lapua brass goes well into the 70,000 psi range, before starting to show any signs of pressure, gotta love it.

Dean

scooterf79
07-29-2014, 07:41 AM
Good, gotcha on the trim length....
Yep, plan is to put a nut on the 700
So, is 4000fps mark for mere mortals or just you? Lol ;)
The red mist affect will be awesome I'm sure
Load data was gonna be my next set of questions, are you getting tired of answering them yet lol
Ive heard Lapua is the best you can get so... whats not to like?
Thanks for the info!
Scooter

Rooster 50
07-29-2014, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the update and all the info. This cartridge seems to have the best of both worlds with accuracy and speed which I really like. I want to build something super accurate (for me anyway) but always love speed, especially for varmints. Your update on the other thread sounds like the accuracy is fantastic! .2s???? Thats awesome! Sounds as though this might be right with the 6-284 with speed isnt it?
Gotcha on it fitting a 308 box. The 700 I'll convert is just what I happen to have so thats why I wanted to make sure a short action cartridge.
I dont think ill go with the neck turn option, unless theres some advantage to it, but if I go that route Ill be in touch :)
As far as case length, did you need to trim any after sizing down?

Rooster, Ive read some good stuff on the 6mm ai and like it but...ya cant just say something like that without throwing some numbers out...lol so...whatcha getting?

Boots, thats pretty wicked fast....we are talking major red mist factor right? Something almost magical about 4000fps, even just seein it on the chrono.

3350fps with a 95gr VLD. I achieved those speeds with several different powders. Accuracy was outstanding. 1/2 MOA @ 100 thru 600.

bootsmcguire
07-29-2014, 11:46 PM
Yup, 4000fps is sure to give you the mist factor. Those 58's at that speed did a number on some pdogs a couple years back when I was out west.

I have been working on my 6-WSM trying to get the 105's up that fast, so far I have made it to 3750fps but I have some slower powders to try that I am pretty sure will get me close. The 6x55 wildcat has my attention as well, I may just have to add one to my stable before too long. You guys keep talking about it I may have to give Jim a call, but I better get some of these others settled in first.

Hotolds442
07-30-2014, 01:59 AM
I know exactly what you mean, I've got a 22x6.8 I need to do some load development on and I'm too occupied with what to build next on the Savage platform.

scooterf79
07-30-2014, 02:45 AM
Oh id say, red mist fo sho!
Id say you should be able to get close to 4000 with the 105s. Lotta powder capacity youve got to work with there.

I just screwed my 280AI barrel on last week and havent put a round down the barrel and Im already thinkin about this 6x55 pretty hard. Im blaming you all for my addiction! :)
Scooter

scooterf79
07-30-2014, 04:58 AM
Rooster
Sounds awesome! Accuracy sounds great too. You like the vld on game or is just what got your accuracy and you stuck with it
Scooter

Rooster 50
07-30-2014, 03:34 PM
The only time I used the VLD on game was in my 25-06 AI, it performed fine. I was using the 95vld's in my 6mmAI for a varmint silhouette competition. I have shot some coyotes with them also. Some pretty satisfied customers on that front also.