PDA

View Full Version : Varget powder

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Stockrex
08-07-2014, 10:43 AM
I think the powder "shortages" are different from region to region...here in Michigan I have seen little or no powder for about 2 years on most trips to any of my local options. I will say last week I did see IMR4064 and Win 748 in 1 pounders in volume at 2 places. I am glad I was hoarder before hoarding became popular and bought a few 8 pounders a few years ago when powder was everywhere....

we have a small place in gr what has most powders in stock, they limit how much you can buy.

thermaler
08-07-2014, 11:55 AM
My 22-250 loves Varget. Over the last few years any powder has been scarce around here and to top the shortage off one of the (real) sporting goods stores here closed it's doors. So now there's only one place to buy supplies. If I'm there and they have powder I usually pick up a pound, the last couple pounds I bought were $30 each.I got gouged a bit $40 each for pounders of 4064

emtrescue6
08-07-2014, 01:00 PM
we have a small place in gr what has most powders in stock, they limit how much you can buy.

Yeah GR is a bit of a drive for powder for me...fortunately I am not hurting for powder.

Stockrex
08-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Yeah GR is a bit of a drive for powder for me...fortunately I am not hurting for powder.
shout if ya need something, I can swing it by ya on my way to OH

cranebird
08-07-2014, 06:53 PM
I got gouged a bit $40 each for pounders of 4064

I guess they did.I pay $27.95 a can for 4064 here. I paid $29.95 for a can of Varget today.I don't know whether it runs more or whether they are charging more since this is from the newest powder shipment.

sdeeter19541
08-08-2014, 08:12 AM
I got gouged a bit $40 each for pounders of 4064
Wow...even at the height of the rush, I only paid $29/pound of 4064.

I have probably ten pound of 4064 as its the powder of choice for my 110e in 30-06 and what I intend to use in the 375R once I get the scope done and time to shoot. I basically pick it up when I see it, whether I need it or not.

michaelnel
08-08-2014, 09:10 AM
We ought to remember these gougers and when supplies loosen up, let them know why you will no longer do business with them.

Stockrex
08-08-2014, 12:00 PM
We ought to remember these gougers and when supplies loosen up, let them know why you will no longer do business with them.
Amen!

Steelhead
08-08-2014, 12:37 PM

I do remember and they get very little to none of my money.

cranebird
08-08-2014, 03:06 PM
It certainly is fun messing around with the different powders.24.5 gr of Varget with a 55 gr bullet is pretty darn good through my axis. I pretty much have chosen the 4064 for my 22-250 and If I had to choose just 1 powder for the .223, it would be H335.It simply works great in a.223.

eddiesindian
08-08-2014, 08:10 PM

roger that!
A new LGS opened up its doors. When they 1st opened, there prices where reasonable but when the crunch hit?.....so did they. Ive never gone back and never will again. Ill spend upwards of 1k a yr on reloading components for all of my firearms. Ill gladley give my hard earned money to somebody else.

sdeeter19541
08-09-2014, 07:16 PM
WOW! I was just at Cabelas and they had a total of about four choices of powder, including 4064 and 3031.

And the way the shelves were laid out, one would think they might not be supporting the reloading community for very long. They had rearranged the shelves to basically not have space for powder...a guy even commented when I was there "is this all they have?". While they had powder, it was oddball Winchester stuff I have never seen before (other than the IMR I bought). They use to have about every powder known to man on the shelf (or at least space for it on the shelf).

Kinda disappointing.

BoilerUP
08-09-2014, 07:20 PM
My local Cabelas put powder behind the counter around the first of the year, and has moved its location behind the counter a time or three.

Other Cabelas I have been to in the past (St. Louis, Kansas City, Gonzales LA, East Grand Forks MN, Allen TX) have had a shelf of powder out in the general reloading component area, but I haven't been in a non-local Cabelas in close to a year.

emtrescue6
08-10-2014, 09:07 AM
My local Cabela's did a major overhaul of floorspace a while back and expanded the reloading section...probably doubled the shelf space, but it has also put powder and primers in an "odd" location and smaller shelf...that being said, they have had piles of primers...but only had 4 or so powders last week....which is 3 more than they had the week before. I think their current shelf space says they are experiencing the same shortage everyone else is so why waste valuable display space to leave vacant for the time being? I suspect they will make room for powder again if and when it becomes available...if....