PDA

View Full Version : What can I expect for groups?

charleslabounty
07-24-2014, 09:10 PM
Bought a new Model 111 Trophy Hunter Package 30-06. It comes with the Nikon 3-9 BDC Scope.
Has the Accu-trigger, but not the Accu-stock.What can I expect for groups with 180 grain factory ammo. (Using Remington Core Lokt PSP, 180gr)

Occasionally I get 2" 3-shot groups, but usually 3-4".
Just bought a Caldwell Lead Sled DFT, and that's when I got the 2" group.
thanks
Charlie
Merritt Island, Fl

FlinginCarbon
07-24-2014, 10:05 PM
My 116 30-06 sprays 180's all over the place, but shoots 150 core-lokts very well. Try some 150's and see if they shoot better for you.

scooterf79
07-25-2014, 12:29 AM
+1 for trying different types of ammo. All rifles are different and will like certain stuff. I would think you should be in the 1in to 1-1/2 range pretty easy. Savages are known for shooting really well outta the box. All of mine have shot great

Rosco
07-25-2014, 12:40 AM
Trying new Ammo is one of the many ways to get better group sizes, but proper Scope mounting and your fundamentals are just as important. Besides ammo adjustments most pull off the scope after they purchased the rifle and remount it just to ensure it is done correctly, as their have been many reports of loose screws and scopes shifting all over the place in the rings which cause accuracy issues. Being you have a 30-06 shooting 180's it would be good idea to make sure that is done correctly as that probably has plenty of kick.

When I first started shooting I tried a Lead Sled and it actually didn't help much at all. Hopefully, you will get better results. Good luck and congrats on the new rifle!!

Rifleshooter308
07-25-2014, 08:42 AM
Well unless your a Gorilla with nerves of steel your groups won't be great. First it is not a bench style grouping rifle. Your rifle is a super light hunting rifle in a high recoil caliber with a tupperware stock. It won't be pleasant to shoot. I know because I just sighted in a friends. I shoot five rounds and that was enough. I went back to my 6.5-06 heavy barrel with heavy stock which seemed like a .223!

Sight it in with a good rest. If you can get access to a Caldwell Lead Sled that absorbs the recoil then you can see what kind of groups the rifle is capable. I loaded some light recoil practice rounds for my friend so he can practice trigger control. He's looking to replace the stock which will help alot.

mazda3gun
07-25-2014, 09:04 AM
Well unless your a Gorilla with nerves of steel your groups won't be great. First it is not a bench style grouping rifle. Your rifle is a super light hunting rifle in a high recoil caliber with a tupperware stock. It won't be pleasant to shoot. I know because I just sighted in a friends. I shoot five rounds and that was enough. I went back to my 6.5-06 heavy barrel with heavy stock which seemed like a .223!

Sight it in with a good rest. If you can get access to a Caldwell Lead Sled that absorbs the recoil then you can see what kind of groups the rifle is capable. I loaded some light recoil practice rounds for my friend so he can practice trigger control. He's looking to replace the stock which will help alot.

+1!!!
I have a 110 30-06, but with a wood stock. She's not super light, I'd guess around 9 pounds, she bites after about 7 rounds! I shoot Rem Core-Lokt 180's too and have yet to try other grains but I get solid 'deer hunting accuracy'. Less than a 2" group at 100yds. Unless it's built for precision long range stuff, 2" at 100 yds will drop a whitetail if you do your part.
I've even gone as far as to put on a Limb Saver butt pad and a muzzle brake. The brake hasn't been installed yet, but I'm sure she'll be more pleasant if I ever get around to it. Loud as all get out echoing through the hills of KY, but my shoulder will thank me!

Jamie
07-25-2014, 11:20 AM
Sporter rifles are quite capable of small groups. If not, please don't tell my 110 synthetic stocked 7mm RM, it still thinks that 1/2" groups are what it is supposed to do. Since you have a Lead Sled and that cut your groups down then some of the grouping issue may be from you. Another, most likely larger part, is the ammo you are using. I would look at something with a Nosler or Hornady bullet.

D.ID
07-25-2014, 10:55 PM
I must be a guerilla with nerves of steel............cool, I guess.
The modern bolt action rifle is one of mans finest achievements. Like most things accuracy is a system, a chain with many links that share an equal significance.
The barrel, bolt, trigger, ammo, optics, optics mount and stock are all significant, the shooter needs to match them up appropriately and then develop the discipline to initiate the shot without disrupting the system..............If you do that: there is no excuse for that kind of accuracy.

In other words: your rifle does not know that it is not a bench rest target gun. If you treat it like one, feed it, tune it and shoot it like one it will respond like one.
I am not saying it will win against heavy purpose built, super tuned rigs but it will shoot well under MOA unless something is seriously defective, miss matched or loose..