PDA

View Full Version : 111 LRH in 338 Lapua

Thelongfellow
07-23-2014, 09:26 PM
New member here!

Picked up my first savage a few months ago. Got it "used" (only had 18 rounds down the tube) to use as a host for a long range target gun.

I want to replace the barrel and the stock. I have an idea what I want to do stock wise (wish I could get the AICS like I have on my .308!)

Anyway, where I need help is what barrel brand to go with? Any recommendations??

Thanks for the help!
Jonathan

foxx
07-23-2014, 09:47 PM
All the pre-fits in the $300 range have excellent reputations. I'd go with whomever has what you want in stock. Having said that, Apache Gun Works has a great reputation for reaming the less expensive options such as Shaw and Green Mountain well enough to end up as better barrels than most people can shoot.

I personally have had great luck with McGowen and Apache.

Welcome, BTW

Thelongfellow
07-23-2014, 10:10 PM
Ok, thanks for the info!
I'm not soo much concerned with cost. Cheap and 338 don't go together. Lolol
I want to build a Tac driver, so I'm willing to take my time and put some money into it.

foxx
07-24-2014, 12:22 AM
Ok, thanks for the info!
I'm not soo much concerned with cost. Cheap and 338 don't go together. Lolol
I want to build a Tac driver, so I'm willing to take my time and put some money into it.

I certainly hear that! Still, I'd suggest you talk to four people I have done business with. I am very impressed with all of them.

In no particular order:

Dennis at McGowen Outlet
Jim at Northland Shooter Supply
Jim at Apache Gun Works (he will also do high-end barrels in a timely manner, I suggest him for lower budget barrels specifically 'cuz he makes them available, but he also does the high end stuff)
Fred at Sharp Shooter Supply

No matter what you get, you will also want Heavy duty trued recoil lug and trued barrel nut. Sharp Shooter Supply makes them for many dealers, as do others. I know they are good.

Thelongfellow
07-24-2014, 12:58 AM
I certainly hear that! Still, I'd suggest you talk to four people I have done business with. I am very impressed with all of them.

In no particular order:

Dennis at McGowen Outlet
Jim at Northland Shooter Supply
Jim at Apache Gun Works (he will also do high-end barrels in a timely manner, I suggest him for lower budget barrels specifically 'cuz he makes them available, but he also does the high end stuff)
Fred at Sharp Shooter Supply

No matter what you get, you will also want Heavy duty trued recoil lug and trued barrel nut. Sharp Shooter Supply makes them for many dealers, as do others. I know they are good.

Sweet! I will do that! Again, I really appreciate it! I want to do this right because I want to really reach out and touch something with it. So, I know that money spent in the right place will help with that (along with me doing things right lololol).

I can't wait to get this thing built out and some ammo loaded so that I can make some big booms (my 308 is suppressed... Someday when I am rich I'll buy a 338 can...)!!!!!

LoneWolf
07-24-2014, 01:30 AM
Sell the can for your 308 and get a 338 can that will work for both....

Stockrex
07-24-2014, 03:03 AM
lone wolf will. 338 can work for 6.5 or even 6 mm thank you
Op, you can go wrong with the Shilen or a criterion barrel.

LoneWolf
07-24-2014, 03:11 AM
lone wolf will. 338 can work for 6.5 or even 6 mm thank you
Op, you can go wrong with the Shilen are a criterion barrel.

I don't see why not, but I would ask the manufacture that you are interested in.