PDA

View Full Version : New at building rifles.

IMYURHUCKLEBERRY
03-31-2010, 11:48 PM
I have a model 110c left hand shooter in 30-06 which I bought about 28 yrs ago. Until last year everything was factory until I had the trigger lighten to 3 lbs. Being new to the forum about a month old now, I have learned that it is easy to exchange barrels on Savage rifles. My questions are as follows:

1. Does this apply to my rifle model as well?
2. I would like a 28" heavy barrel for varmint for 110 gr and a 1:12 twist is this the right twist?
3. I would like a 28" heavy barrel for long range shooting using 180 to 200gr, do I need a faster twist like
1:8 or will 1:10 stabilize the heavy bullets.
4. I would like to mount this on a PDC Stock, can all this be done with my old 110cl action?

Would truly appreciate your expertise in this matter. I do not want to buy any different calibers. I wanted all in 30-06.

cowboyarcher
03-31-2010, 11:56 PM
I dunno much about the twists, but I'll try:

Berger shows a 1:19 (think you'll be hard pressed to find that, maybe someone else will have experience with the light bullets) twist for their 110grn bullets, and a 1:11 for the 210 grn bullets.

For my 300 Win Mag, I ordered a 1:10 with plans of shooting 200grn Accubonds and the 210 grn Bergers.

As long as your action has a 5" spacing, then yes, they should be able to stock it for you.

And the changing of barrels should apply to your rifle.

A bit out of order, but hopefully it helps,

Adam

GaCop
04-01-2010, 05:31 AM
1 in 10 is pretty much a do all twist, handling 110 right up to 180s.

rjtfroggy
04-01-2010, 08:07 AM
You have a long action detachable magazine "c" so as far as the stock goes it will probably have to be custom made.
As for barrels my advice is contact Jim at NSS or Sharpshooter,they can tell you what is available for your rifle.

LG
04-01-2010, 08:31 AM
I've been using 210gr bullets in my 1:10 twist 30-06 barrel without any problems.

IMYURHUCKLEBERRY
04-01-2010, 04:19 PM
I'm glad to hear that I can change the barrels just as easily as the new rifles. I will have to get a hold of the guys for the pdc stock and see it they have anything that can handle the action on my old model c. I was not sure if the 1:10 twist would handle the heavier 220 bullets since I never shot it due to loss of consciousness from the kick I would get with the old hard rubber recoil pad. I still want to get a longer barrel for the recoil and make it more of a tactical looking rifle with the PDC Stock. Guys thanks for your help. If they can not build me a stock may I'll just buy a used rifle or a Stephens model. Thanks again.

ellobo
04-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Not sure if this comment applies to a 28 yr old rifle but take a look at the bolt face. If it is not the same bolt floating head as on current models you may have a controled feed bolt which I understand is not compatable. You may have a problem. Hopefully someone more knowlefgeable than me will chime in on this. Easy to check by looking at a current rifle in a gun shop or a friends. If all is the same as newer ones you are golden for barrel swap.

El Lobo

IMYURHUCKLEBERRY
04-01-2010, 09:24 PM
El Lobo

My bolt does not have the floating head. It is the control feed. If it seems like this will be a problem than I probably will leave my rifle as is, with the exception of my stock. I'll get this guy that I see at the gunshows on a regular basis and have him carve some deer theme on one side of the stock and an elk on the other kind. My rifle has always put venison on my plate with out failing every year. Probably that will be the only upgrade I will do. In the 28 yrs that I have owned it I still have less than 200 rounds through it. So it is still good to go as is. I'll probably buy a used Savage or Scout and build a tactical gun from that instead. Theres a gun show in San Antonio this weekend so I'll probably trade my 44 mag for starters.
Thanks for your reply.

cowboyarcher
04-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Not sure if this comment applies to a 28 yr old rifle but take a look at the bolt face. If it is not the same bolt floating head as on current models you may have a controled feed bolt which I understand is not compatable. You may have a problem. Hopefully someone more knowlefgeable than me will chime in on this. Easy to check by looking at a current rifle in a gun shop or a friends. If all is the same as newer ones you are golden for barrel swap.

El Lobo

Good catch, I was unaware of this issue! That's what I get for posting on here like I know what I'm doing. . . ;D