PDA

View Full Version : Help with ladder test

Pages : 1 [2]

DanSavage
07-23-2014, 06:01 PM
All of this is great information. What is a realistic expectation for this rifle to shoot? 1 moa?

Very high percentage rate on that,, I like 7,8,9, vertical is great, I'd go with 8 and do the seating depth test with that load.

cranebird
07-23-2014, 06:23 PM
I don't do ladder tests but #3 is an "flyer" round in my opinion, therefore I would confirm it with an additional load of the same charge and see where it lands in comparison with the other round.

eddiesindian
07-24-2014, 01:27 AM
Don't think mine has 5r rifling, not 100% sure though. And mine is 1:10 twist. I tried some 168 smk but had some weird issues at 100 with them. I'm not an expert by any means but they were not leaving a normal round hole. These were holes as if the bullet was tumbling.

I own a 10 FCP-K as well which is a 1-10. I found a consistant load with the 175,s and 4064.(doesnt help much due to you using Varget but info none the less)

All things being equal ie: bench rest,shooting bags stable,scope base tight etc....
IMO....Id go lighter charge weights.
couldnt help to notice but I see no aiming point on your paper target.

psipower
07-24-2014, 06:54 AM
The aiming point is not far above the #3 shot. I couldn't get it in the picture as well as get all the other info so I assumed that it was the least important and left it out.

thermaler
07-24-2014, 07:35 AM
Dummy question--is this 308 win (I assume so)? At 250 yds that would be an amazing result for me considering how close all the impacts are--I've never had results like that from any handloads I've done in 308 with a significant charge variation--I would generally clearly see a lower and a higher node--my guess is that somehow you're bumping all your loads up against the higher pressure "zone" but I don't know the characteristics of that rifle.

My other question is how did you keep track of which bullet landed where--I'm sure I'd get that mixed up even with a good spotting scope?

psipower
07-24-2014, 07:59 AM
Yes this is a 308. I have been very happy with how this rifle shoots. I haven't quite got the load completely worked up yet so I decided to do this test. Prior to doing this test though I have had some pretty good results considering this is an off the shelf rifle. As far as tracking each shot.... I was marking each shot on a piece of paper on my bench. After about 6 shots I think, I started shooting one and going to verify it on the target and marking it.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/24/u9uqy9u5.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/24/aty6a4uz.jpg

thermaler
07-24-2014, 08:27 AM
Ladders can chew up a lot of ammo--I generally do 10 - 15 different charges and then repeat the ladder at least twice--really should be 3 times I think--just to be sure of accurately identifying the nodes and eliminating errant variations. I've tried all the different bullet coloring schemes but they've never worked well for me with that many bullets--so I do a grid target with hor and vert lines and a corresponding score sheet that I mark after each shot--but even this technique is difficult with ladders where all shots group closely.

binadu
07-24-2014, 11:30 AM
shots 6 7 and 8 may be your load look at the velocity spreads 11fps with almost a 1 grain difference in charge weight and point of impact looks to be around an inch of each other vertically. I would start a group test within that charge range good luck to you. see link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJKVc5z9WVM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEdZ7k_6-cE

chukarmandoo
07-24-2014, 03:02 PM
When I shoot a ladder I'm looking for barrel harmonics along with other variables. No.3 could be a flier as stated earlier or could be harmonics. Shoot it again and see what happens. 7,8,and 9 seem gtg. Take away the horizontal and those shots are close together.

cranebird
07-24-2014, 04:44 PM
Ladders can chew up a lot of ammo--I generally do 10 - 15 different charges and then repeat the ladder at least twice--really should be 3 times I think--just to be sure of accurately identifying the nodes and eliminating errant variations. I've tried all the different bullet coloring schemes but they've never worked well for me with that many bullets--so I do a grid target with hor and vert lines and a corresponding score sheet that I mark after each shot--but even this technique is difficult with ladders where all shots group closely.

Yeah I do individual cross hair type of vertical and horizontal lines with a marker pen to find accuracy by aligning the cross hairs to the cross hair target pattern.I like 3 shot groups of the same charge and will replace a flier round with another if needed.I've got nothing but time and I shoot in the back yard so it's not like I have to prepare everything and make a trip to the range.

Agreed to look for the horizontal patterns, thanks to Earl39's wisdom, it put me on the fast track to searching........

limige
07-24-2014, 05:36 PM
You really need to shoot at 400-500 for a ladder to work. Stick to ocw or find a better place to shoot

eddiesindian
07-24-2014, 06:28 PM
Yes this is a 308. I have been very happy with how this rifle shoots. I haven't quite got the load completely worked up yet so I decided to do this test. Prior to doing this test though I have had some pretty good results considering this is an off the shelf rifle. As far as tracking each shot.... I was marking each shot on a piece of paper on my bench. After about 6 shots I think, I started shooting one and going to verify it on the target and marking it.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/24/u9uqy9u5.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/24/aty6a4uz.jpg

this things ready for distance...........send-em-out-long-distance.......

limige
07-24-2014, 06:46 PM
I was recently told to look for least vertical then chase seating depth to bring in the horizontal. You guys find this to be true?

psipower
07-24-2014, 09:30 PM
@eddiesindian, I have stretched it out to 1000 so far. Just have been trying to refine the loads a little more so I can be 100% confident when we go to 1 mile and beyond

eddiesindian
07-24-2014, 11:00 PM
sounds like a plan
what ever you do.......pray to the Gods of Wind to not show up on the day of............. "The Mile".....lolololo

DennisPA
07-25-2014, 05:37 AM
What was the bore condition? If you started with a clean and or cold bore shots 1,2 and maybe 3 could be effected. When I'm doing load development I treat it like any other competition set up. I warm up the bore with few foulers before getting to work. But on the other side of that getting the bore to hot can throw off your velocities. So a slow consistent pace is needed when shooting. But in a 308 I don't think you would have that problem. I mainly see that in big magnums.