PDA

View Full Version : Choate stock question

pepperbelly
03-31-2010, 11:10 PM
I just bought a new model 10FCP in a Choate stock.
I noticed that if I put the end of the forearm in the heel of my hand and placed my fingers on the barrel and squeezed that the stock forearm moved slightly. It did spring back when I let go.

Is a small amount of deflection normal?

Jim

kenbo776
04-01-2010, 12:13 AM
I have the same rifle but with a McMilian stock. It does have a very slight amount of flex at the last few inches at barrel end. Not sure if it is touching barrel but I always try to rest the rifle about 5 or 6 inches back from the end of stock just in case the stock does touch at the end. I have heard of people inletting some kind of carbon fiber stiffener into the front of stock but that might be a bit of overkill.

bodywerks
04-01-2010, 04:50 AM
Did you buy that gun from Cabela's or used somewhere? Just curious because I just sold one on consignment recently, but it was an FCP-XP, which has a 20" heavy fluted barrel and came with a plastic stock. I put the Choate stock on it. I does have the slightest amount of flex but no more than I have seen from HS or mcmillan.

pepperbelly
04-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Yes I bought it at Cabelas. They are being discontinued and mine was the last one in the Fort Worth store.

Jim