PDA

View Full Version : Decided on .222 as my caliber now I need a barrel

Pages : [1] 2

Pastprime
07-21-2014, 06:55 PM
My new Savage will be at the gun shop tomorrow and I've decided to change from .22-250 to .222 without shooting it per BOTBN rule # 2 as pointed out by several people. I have chosen the .222 for the potential of good accuracy and barrel life.

I tried calling Northland today but never got through. Does anyone have a source for match barrels in .222 that does not require a long wait. I can see them not being in stock but seems like it should only take a few days to chamber one. I'd rather use a sponsor if I can find one that has a medium to heavy varmint contour barrel. Anyone bought a .222 barrel lately?

Edited: I should have put this in the proper forum. If a moderator can move it, please do. I'll try to be more careful.

Rooster 50
07-21-2014, 10:28 PM
You probably better be looking for a new bolt head too. Shoulda bought a .223 if you were going to make that transition.

bootsmcguire
07-22-2014, 12:55 AM
Call Jim at Apache Gunworks (http://www.apachegunworks.com) and tell him what you would like. He will make it any way you want it, on any brand blank you like. It will be top notch. My 6-WSM and 250AI Jim built for me on Green Mountain blanks are real tack drivers. The 6-WSM has turned in many groups in the .3" range at 100yds, and a few under .2" and the 250AI was giving me 1/2 MOA from my striker when it was on there. Give him a call, you will be very happy you did, and he keeps his wait time to a bare minimum.

SlimySquirrel
07-22-2014, 03:49 AM
Man... shoot the heck outta that 22-250 first!! you got the Rifle already.. Give it a whirl!

I loved my 22-250 after having a .223 it was just that much better.. flat.... accurate...explosive.... And besides it will help you work in the bolt if its a little stiff...

rfd12fv
07-22-2014, 05:48 AM
back in the late 60's i bought one of the first remington 788's in .222rem - great caliber, super accurate. alas, that cartridge is no longer in the limelight, and for good reason - there are lots of better 5.56mm and smaller calibers/cartridges that are better for accuracy, just as long lived for case/barrel life, and easier to find components. i agree with others - you should be looking at the .223rem or even the .204ruger - far better in every way, in the long run.

Pastprime
07-22-2014, 02:28 PM
Now I'm really going in circles. Picked up the rifle today. It is an older style of the model 12 LRPV. It's a dual port, single shot, target AccuTrigger (6 oz. is nice), HS stock, with 4.4" action screws. I checked the Savage website for the serial number and it says it was made 12/10/2009. Been laying in some back room for a while looks like. Got it in my hands for just a little under $800 and I'm very satisfied.

After seeing it in person, I think I'm going to shoot it some. Just don't think I can take the barrel off without giving it a try. Getting weak in my old age...:p.

And, after reading more of your comments and doing more reading here and on other sites, while the .222 would be a nice cartridge, finding barrels, while not impossible, is not near as easy as finding other calibers. So, rather than rush into anything, my plan (at least today) is to shoot the .22-250 a little, get used to the rifle, and get back into reloading; as in finding all my tools and remembering the case prep things.

I do appreciate all of your input. Been a long time since I shot a centerfire bolt gun and lots has changed...

wbm
07-22-2014, 02:34 PM
Man... shoot the heck outta that 22-250 first!!

A very good piece of advice!

Pastprime
07-22-2014, 04:11 PM
A very good piece of advice!

Nothing wrong with the .22-250. It's just that I don't hunt any longer and it's a little overkill for paper punching. But, I have it and it looks like should shoot fine. I need to practice and get some equipment together anyway. There's a whole bunch of new gadgets out there....problem is I have the same old wallet...:(

Flyndutchman
07-22-2014, 06:07 PM
With the "powder shortage", the 222 does it very nicely with about 1/2 the powder consumption. The one I have built on the 25 action shoots about anything you can throw together. Some of the loads just a little better.

Pastprime
07-22-2014, 06:16 PM
With the "powder shortage", the 222 does it very nicely with about 1/2 the powder consumption. The one I have built on the 25 action shoots about anything you can throw together. Some of the loads just a little better.

I'm keeping the expense of shooting in mind and will settle on a smaller capacity round later. Might be the .223 or something similar. I didn't know how much more expensive some of the older calibers were when it comes to barrels and brass. But, I'm still back in the 60's and 70's with my centerfire thinking so I've got to catch up on what's out there.

This is an excellent place to learn and I'm grateful for all the informative comments and sound advice I've received. Just takes a tad longer to digest things now that I'm more "mature"...:rolleyes:.

scooterf79
07-23-2014, 05:51 AM
I have a soft spot for the ole triple duece. Had one in a rem model 722 that I got on a trade. Traded it off about 10 years...stupid mistake. Accuracy was fantastic and it was a pleasure to shoot. With that said, my 22-250 is my go to cartridge. Youll be very pleased with 22-250, accuracy will be top notch Im sure(it is with my savage).
There's a good bunch of guys here, with a wealth of knowledge, theyve helped me out tremendously.
Good luck and good shooting, keep us posted on your results.
Scooter

n4ue
07-23-2014, 03:23 PM
Sounds like you scored a nice rifle. Congradulations.
If you want a fun rifle that is cheap to shoot, Here's a thought...... I bought (another) Axis in 223. Pulled the bbl, faced it off a bit and rechambered it for .221 Fireball.
Why? Why not?
I have an XP-100 so I had a bunch of brass, dies, etc.
Replacing the bbls on Savage rifles is SO easy, 'even a caveman' can do it.... ha ha

ron

SlimySquirrel
07-24-2014, 05:37 PM
Good idea on the 22-250.

I tell you what, once you find that combo it likes you will be punching paper for fun!

And if you get fooled into going hunting hogs you will have a fine mid range varmint rig too.

I love the. 222 and we have used a few here on the Feral goat population but the 22-250 works so well and is so accurate that it will be my next varmint rig again!!

Enjoy.

limige
07-24-2014, 07:16 PM
20 vartarg turbo. Google it up. Looks pretty wicked.

Rooster 50
07-24-2014, 09:18 PM
If I could build a 22cal rifle tomorrow it would be a 22-204. Have wanted one for years. Just haven't got it done yet.

SlimySquirrel
07-25-2014, 12:51 PM
Ok so I have only just seen the Dual Port!!!

I need one now!! lol

http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/savage09b.jpg

claysshotgunner
07-27-2014, 01:27 AM
If I could build a 22cal rifle tomorrow it would be a 22-204. Have wanted one for years. Just haven't got it done yet.

How about a 222 Remington Magnum? That is what the 204 was developed from.

Pastprime
07-27-2014, 05:15 PM
Found a semi-local gunsmith who likes to install Bench-Mark barrels. He's ordering one for me tomorrow in .224 with a 1/12 twist. I said I wanted a .222 Rem but more and more I'm back and forth between it and the .223. A friend just gave me a set of Redding dies and 100 pieces of new Lapua brass today in .223 because he's changing calibers in one of his heavy barrels; that's really got me thinking again..:confusion:. I know the caliber's my decision I just wanted to mention the Bench Mark barrel because I had forgotten about them. He said it should arrived in less than 3 month which is faster than some makers. Of course I guess I could have it chambered in .222 and if it didn't suit me, I could have it re-reamed to .223....is that a possibility??

bootsmcguire
07-27-2014, 10:15 PM
I could have it chambered in .222 and if it didn't suit me, I could have it re-reamed to .223....is that a possibility??

Completely a possibility. As long as your contour you are choosing isn't a feather weight but more of a Magnum of Varmint then it would be no issue at all to rechamber. Even a Savage factory sporter contour could be set back enough with little effort.

Salvo
07-28-2014, 08:32 PM
I'd much rather have a .222 than a .223 - but that's just me.

If .223 were not a military cartridge, it would be highly unlikely to show up in any rifle matches... The .222 on the other hand dominated benchrest shooting for many years.

The smaller case capacity of the .222 and the longer neck adds up to a longer lasting barrel. The longer neck also contributes to accuracy.

More economical to load for, more accurate, less noise, easier on the barrel and a whole lot more class sets the .222 apart from the .223 - and always will.

As long as there is .223 brass around the shooting range, you can make .222 brass for free.

I'd much rather shoot .222 Remington than .223, but each to his own I say. If I saw a good looking .223 rifle, I sure wouldn't turn my nose up at it. My next build though will be a .222, no doubt about that.