PDA

View Full Version : First shots with my Axis 30-06

Pages : [1] 2

kenochs
07-21-2014, 01:33 PM
I'm new to Savage rifles. The selection of left-handed bolt actions is rather limited, and for a guy on a budget, I decided on the Axis.

After spending 2 weeks in the factory box in my spare room, I finally had a chance to break out my new lefty 30-06. Woohoo!!

I got set up and took some shots at 50, 75, and 100 yards. Due to a cheap, piece o' sh!t scope (names have been removed to protect the guilty), I first was cursing my new rifle. Fortunately, I was able to borrow my uncle's Nikon, and it was smooth sailing from there. Nice tight groupings, and not too much kick. It was a joy to shoot.

I'm officially a Savage fan! :)

Rosco
07-21-2014, 03:13 PM
Congrats and Welcome to the addiction :)

n4ue
07-21-2014, 06:52 PM
Kenochs. +1 on the congrats.
I'll bet that '06 kicks pretty good. As I age, I don't enjoy recoil like I did when I was a pup.
Even my Axis 7-08 had weight added to it, to make bench shooting more enjoyable. As a hunting rifle, I never used to feel the recoil from my Rem 700 ADL ('06) while deer hunting...
have fun,
ron

kenochs
07-24-2014, 03:20 PM
Thanks guys.

I was actually pretty pleased at the recoil, it was not what I was expecting. My dad has an older Remington (no idea the model). It kicks like a mule.

I do find the stock to be a little light. Perhaps down the road, may consider swapping in a heavier stock.

thermaler
07-25-2014, 07:01 AM
With the wide availability of aftermarket stocks most people are now opting for those for their axis rifles. Since I did several "SD" (stock dysfunction) jobs on my Axis rifles' OEM stocks, I actually came to like the performance of my mods which included a filled buttstock section and recoil pillar. My rifles shoot GREAT with these mods--so much so I did the same to my 111 hunter in 300 win mag.

kenochs
07-25-2014, 07:06 AM
With the wide availability of aftermarket stocks most people are now opting for those for their axis rifles. Since I did several "SD" (stock dysfunction) jobs on my Axis rifles' OEM stocks, I actually came to like the performance of my mods which included a filled buttstock section and recoil pillar. My rifles shoot GREAT with these mods--so much so I did the same to my 111 hunter in 300 win mag.

When you say filled buttstock, you mean you drilled into the stock and filled it? I have not heard of that being done, but that is a nice way to add some weight to the stock w/o a full swap. Can you give me some details on how you did this, and what you filled with?

thermaler
07-25-2014, 09:34 AM
Actually it was quite easy--certainly easier then bedding the foreend area.

The buttpad pops off very easily, though I usually break the tab cause I'm basically a klutz. I then take a 1" aluminum tube and hammer one end flat so that it slides up as far as possible into the stock wrist/trigger area and the other end sits up against the buttpad. I fill the tube with a spring, steel washers and rubber bushings--I can't prove that it really absorbs recoil well, but even if it doesn't it will still reduce stock flex and add weight to that part of the stock. I epoxy the tube at both ends and fill the remaining area with a high-desity foam of some sort.

I've found that it's not really necessary to add a bunch of weight--in fact I really like keeping the weight down--you're going to notice every extra ounce on the long hunts deep into the woods and up mountain sides. My 300 win mag is very tolerable and my 308 is a pleasure to shoot, I rarely have any shoulder pain and that helps in reducing my "flinch reflex." Muzzle lift is also minimal--though I use brakes and they probably help in this.

PS--the plastic stock can also be easily cut down to adjust to a better length of a pull.

kenochs
07-25-2014, 10:00 AM
Actually it was quite easy--certainly easier then bedding the foreend area.

The buttpad pops off very easily, though I usually break the tab cause I'm basically a klutz. I then take a 1" aluminum tube and hammer one end flat so that it slides up as far as possible into the stock wrist/trigger area and the other end sits up against the buttpad. I fill the tube with a spring, steel washers and rubber bushings--I can't prove that it really absorbs recoil well, but even if it doesn't it will still reduce stock flex and add weight to that part of the stock. I epoxy the tube at both ends and fill the remaining area with a high-desity foam of some sort.

I've found that it's not really necessary to add a bunch of weight--in fact I really like keeping the weight down--you're going to notice every extra ounce on the long hunts deep into the woods and up mountain sides. My 300 win mag is very tolerable and my 308 is a pleasure to shoot, I rarely have any shoulder pain and that helps in reducing my "flinch reflex." Muzzle lift is also minimal--though I use brakes and they probably help in this.

PS--the plastic stock can also be easily cut down to adjust to a better length of a pull.

Great suggestions, thanks Thermaler.

thermaler
07-25-2014, 10:36 AM
Great suggestions, thanks Thermaler.You're welcome. The best part is--most people are going to ditch the plastistock anyway--so it's really a "nothing to lose" proposition to attempt your own mods.

Reeseman
07-25-2014, 03:45 PM
Back in 2010 I bought an Axis 30-06 from a co worker who said it wouldn't shoot at 100 yards . It was a factory scoped deal with a cheap Bushnell scope . Well he was right , it did not shoot well , but I suspected the scope from his first description of the groups he was experiencing . I paid $175.00 for it in his fit of rage hoping it was the scope . I mounted an old original Bushnell Legend 3-9x40 that I had sitting around and the rest is history . With factory Remington Corelocked ammo it shoots under 1.5'' at 100 yards . It does not recoil too bad for a light gun . I have used it a lot since I put it together because its light and I don't care about it getting treated rough in the field . I have never had a problem with it and have lent it out several times to friends . They are typical Savage . Not pretty but very functional .

fgw_in_fla
07-25-2014, 05:57 PM
I for one am pleased to see another member of the elite "Axis '06 Shooters"...

I hope you enjoy your new toy as much as I enjoy my beloved '06.

PS - dig around thru the Axis section. There's several threads about what you can do to the factory stock to make shooting it a bit more pleasurable. Lotta guys here have tinkered with them and shown quite a bit of creativity. Including one tech thing I did about fore end reinforcement and taking some of the wiggle wobble out of the Axis "Flex-o-Matic" stock.

Enjoy your new addiction.

cranebird
07-25-2014, 06:53 PM
I intend to fill the stock through the rectangle hole that the trigger section piece locks into.I haven't yet but I intend to.

fgw_in_fla
07-25-2014, 07:24 PM
Just as easy to pop off the recoil pad - remembering that it's plastic and brittle and snaps real easy - and fill it with whatever your favorite stuff is.

I filled one about a year or two ago with Liquid Nail. Don't ask me why. I just happened to have 8 tubes of it in the shop. I packed styrofoam in the end over the Liquid Nail to prevent it from running out and reassembled the recoil pad.

About 4 months later I drilled thru the stock to mount a Kydex cheek rest. I carefully marked my drill points and proceeded. As I pulled the drill bit back out it was followed by a glob of Liquid Nail and it cascaded down the sides of the stock.
The stuff won't harden without air.

Just a little useful info from yer 'ol Uncle Frank...

thermaler
07-25-2014, 07:57 PM
Just as easy to pop off the recoil pad - remembering that it's plastic and brittle and snaps real easy - and fill it with whatever your favorite stuff is.

I filled one about a year or two ago with Liquid Nail. Don't ask me why. I just happened to have 8 tubes of it in the shop. I packed styrofoam in the end over the Liquid Nail to prevent it from running out and reassembled the recoil pad.

About 4 months later I drilled thru the stock to mount a Kydex cheek rest. I carefully marked my drill points and proceeded. As I pulled the drill bit back out it was followed by a glob of Liquid Nail and it cascaded down the sides of the stock.

Just a little useful info from yer 'ol Uncle Frank...He now fills his stocks with barbeque sauce--he can't wait to process and eat his hogs in the field.

fgw_in_fla
07-25-2014, 08:42 PM
Now I wish I had kept those old Axis stocks. You just gave me a great idea...

I suppose I could hollow out the Boyd's stock and line it with plastic or something.

Rosco
07-25-2014, 08:57 PM
Had to modify mine by cutting it down and inch and 5/16'' so I could adjust my LOP using a hacksaw, vise and some sandpaper. Looking back I should have used a Mitre Saw/Band Saw but didn't have either one laying around. Then I cut a "filler" piece of 3/4'' plywood and seated where the recoil pad used to go and used some JB Weld to hold it in, and then covered it with a Limbsaver Recoil pad. After that removed the trigger guard and used that little hole to fill it with Great Stuff. This also means in the future if I want to use a spade bit I can drill into the plywood and make some room to insert some 1'' PVC pipe closed off with some manner of tape and use that to hold a Mercury recoil reducer or Thermaler's recoil reduction system :)

kenochs
07-26-2014, 08:43 PM
?.. Not pretty but very functional .

Kinda like me. Lol

kenochs
07-26-2014, 08:45 PM
I for one am pleased to see another member of the elite "Axis '06 Shooters"...

I hope you enjoy your new toy as much as I enjoy my beloved '06.

PS - dig around thru the Axis section. There's several threads about what you can do to the factory stock to make shooting it a bit more pleasurable. Lotta guys here have tinkered with them and shown quite a bit of creativity. Including one tech thing I did about fore end reinforcement and taking some of the wiggle wobble out of the Axis "Flex-o-Matic" stock.

Enjoy your new addiction.

I have already been checking it out, getting some ideas. :)

kenochs
07-26-2014, 08:48 PM

Just a little useful info from yer 'ol Uncle Frank...

Good to know!

savagetoter
07-26-2014, 10:46 PM
Sounds great OP! Make sure you use some lock tight (removable kind) on your scope rings and bases. I have a Model 700 in .30-06, and had the same problem with a cheaper scope and basic rings. I decided to get the one piece rings, for the Model 700, and a higher end Bushnell scope...never had a problem with "wondering zero" after that. :redface-new: