PDA

View Full Version : .223 on a Long Action

rdog52
07-21-2014, 09:09 AM
I've got a .223 barrel looking for a home. The only spare action I have is an old stagger feed 110 with a .308 size bolt head. Is swapping out to the .223 size bolt head the only thing I need to do? Or am I missing something stupid? This will be a single shot application, not trying to feed from a mag. Thanks for your help.

Randy

foxx
07-21-2014, 10:06 AM
As long as the firing pin fits the .223 bolt head you'll be fine.

I don't know much about the different size pins, but I think I read somewhere that could be a concern.

rdog52
07-21-2014, 05:18 PM
Thanks, Foxx. I'll be sure to check that out.
Randy

jonbearman
07-21-2014, 07:33 PM
You will need the .223 cartridge box and the spring and follower unless it is going to be a single shot .You will also need the extended front baffle so you don't have to pull the bolt all the way back.

foxx
07-21-2014, 08:17 PM
I don't know why you would need the extended baffle. If I understand it correctly, it prevents you from pulling the bolt back further than necessary. I don't see why that would be a problem if you are, as you said, not using the magazine, but, rather, single feed only.

Also, I would recommend a single feed ramp. SSS has them, they work nicely. I think their version is for Center feed only, though.

rdog52
07-22-2014, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the replies and help. Yes, it will be a single shot with one of the SSS ramps. If the extended baffle is not needed for proper function, I probably will not change it (I understand the intent of the extended baffle, but a longer bolt throw will not bother me in this application).
Randy

bootsmcguire
07-22-2014, 12:39 AM
Remember that the LA requires a LA-223 sized head. A regular 223 head off of a SA will not work properly. The SA's have a shorter stem on the bolt head than the LA's so by putting a SA head in a LA you may end up with some issues popping up on you. IIRC, SSS used to make an adapter pc to be able to convert the firing pin assembly to use a SA head on a LA.

You can also just try to find a factory LA-223 head, or have PT&G make you one.

cstone
07-22-2014, 12:42 AM
I am considering the same type of build on a long action using a .378 bolt face but my understanding is the long shank bolt head in that size was discontinued and while PTG has made some in the past, they don't seem to be making them any longer. The .378 face, long shank bolt heads have become quite scarce.

If anyone is aware of a work around or a source for the correct bolt head to run .223/.300 Blk out of a long action, I would be grateful for the information.

bootsmcguire, I was typing while you were posting. :p

bootsmcguire
07-22-2014, 01:01 AM
Now I believe that some people have made fitted washers that go behind the bolt head and allow the pin to pass through thus taking up the space difference between the SA and LA and allowing a person to use a SA head on a LA bolt. I have not tried this, I only read about it somewhere here. Otherwise the adapter pc that SSS once had (IIRC) is the only other option besides a factory original head. I have had several of these heads over the years, and always sold them to folks looking for them on here, but my well has run dry.

BoilerUP
07-22-2014, 06:25 AM
Call PTG and talk to Dave Kiff, he can make a Savage LA .378 bolt head or you can try to get in touch with SSS about their extended firing pin stop nut that will let you use a SA .378 bolt head on a long action.

rdog52
07-22-2014, 07:22 AM
Well, that's why I asked the experts on this forum! I didn't realize there was a difference between the S/A and L/A bolt heads. I'll check with Dave and SSS and see if either one can hook me up. Thanks for the pearls of wisdom, guys.

foxx
07-22-2014, 07:30 AM
One more thing.

The SSS single shot adaptor will only work on Center feed models... you said yours is a stagger feed... might want to check around elsewhere. :(

BoilerUP
07-22-2014, 07:34 AM
Score-High makes a single shot follower for Savage staggerfeed LA that works very well.

rdog52
09-11-2014, 07:56 PM
Well, I resurrected this old thread to thank y'all for the help. I did order and received a firing pin extension nut and bolt head from SSS. Installed it today and think I have everything set up correctly (firing pin protrusion and spring compression). I'll screw on the barrel tomorrow and hopefully check it out this weekend. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.
Randy

GaCop
10-01-2014, 07:50 AM
Let us know how it shoots. I built my son a 223 on a long action using a stainless fluted varmint weight factory barrel with 1 in 9 twist. I installed a single shot sled and his rifle is a tack driver with 69 grain SMK's and 75 gr A-Max or BTHP's. It regularly topples the steel pigs at 300 yards on our club range using either bullet weights.

geargrinder
10-01-2014, 11:17 PM
A couple years ago, I made a 223 repeater from a spare 7mmRM action that I had. Found a LA 223 bolt head (I also have a LH one too). Used the extended front baffle.

For the magazine I used a centerfeed 223 magazine with a floor plate rigged up to capture the spring. Then I took a ball of epoxy putty and mounted the mag box into the mag well of the long action stock.

Worked pretty slick.