PDA

View Full Version : Choate Tactical Long Action Stagger Feed

Pages : [1] 2

ontarget
03-31-2010, 02:54 PM
Good morning,

New to the forum and must say its a wealth of information from some really intelligent folks. Thanks for the help!! I'm new to Savage and have always been happy with my Remington 700PSS however I just couldn't resist when the opportunity arose to acquire a older Savage 110 for less than $200. It was ugly, actually FUGLY, and I almost didn't "pull the trigger" however I now am very happy with my purchase.

When I picked up the gun someone had spray painted the stock, rings, and scope (cheap) gold, not brown dessert or coyote.... gold.... I've spent nights thinking about where this Savage used to live. My best guess is in the trunk of a 66 Impala. Thankfully the previous owner hand enough sense not to spray the action or barrel gold too!

After some time and money I'm almost done. Last items to be checked off the list are stock, optics, and rings. I've looked around and am not too keen on the Ultimate Sniper...its too heavy/bulky and the Ultimate Varmint for some reason isn't my favorite.

I was just about to buy a B&C Medalist when I stumbled across this https://www.tacticalworks.com/Savage-LA-Staggered-Feed-Old-Style-Tactical-Stock-by-Choate.html

They claim that they have the Long Action Stagger Feed stock for my Savage. I didn't know Choate made their Tactical Stock in Long Action Stagger Feed?? I like the look of the tactical stock and actually was wishing they had it for the long action when I first saw it. If its true I may just have to "pull the trigger" again..

I'm new to Savage but now almost an expert at understanding you have to be careful when ordering parts...LA vs. SA, Stagger Feed vs. Center Feed, Round back vs Flat back...AccuTrigger....AccuStock...Lots of different parts out there..Sometimes suppliers don't get it right.

I know I need a Stagger Feed Stock Long Action and the price is pretty good at less than $200. They claim it will ship today if I order...

Can any one confirm that Choate makes the Tactical Stock in Long Action Stagger Feed? They said they just received a few of them from Choate.

Thanks,

dcloco
03-31-2010, 05:31 PM
I have the older version of that - Choate Ultimate Varminter - in a staggered feed.

Mine is NOT a light stock. ...and I added a 223 AI 1:12 twist 28" 1.250" straight barrel to this as well. I can say it is a rather stable platform...but heavy. :)

LG
03-31-2010, 08:19 PM
ontarget,

Choate's website shows "Tactical Savage Long Action Staggered Feed (Old Style)" as a new product (see below link). The product number on Choate's website is 25-06-14 so it matches the SKU number in the link you posted.

http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_page_detail.cfm?recordno=2&Product_CatalogID=3022&ProductNumber=25%2D06%2D14&ProductCode=42&ProductSubCodeID=219&NewProduct=0

dcloco
03-31-2010, 09:02 PM
Seeing that stalk wants me to buy one just to put on a long action. $189 is a GOOD deal.

ontarget
04-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Guys thanks for all of the help. I should have thought to call Choate directly. I took a look at their website to verify before ordering but I instantly became very confused.. Here is what Choate's description says......

25-06-14 | Tactical Savage Long Action Staggerfeed (Old Style)

Tactical Savage Long Action Staggerfeed (Old Style)

Tactical Savage Model 110 (Long Action Staggered Feed) with an action screw spacing of 5.062.

$250.00

The Tactical stock has a full length bedding block, adjustable spacer system to adjust the length of pull, rail on bottom of forend to attach a bipod and sling swivels on both sides. This stock takes the Savage factory short actions with or without accu-trigger.

http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_page_detail.cfm?recordno=2&Product_CatalogID=3022&ProductNumber=25-06-14&ProductCode=42&ProductSubCodeID=219&NewProduct=0

Tactical Works did say that it is new and if for a Long Action Stagger Feed.

Looks like I'll find out soon. I ordered one last night...After the wife went to bed off course!

Matt Peetz
04-01-2010, 03:29 PM
My stars are aligned right.

I ordered one the day of your post. Called them to confirm, shipped out that night, just checked my email and got confirmation from fed-ex that it was delivered today!!! But dang i am still at work till Thursday :(

I had been waiting for this stock for along time and being the impatient guy i am i called up Alex Sitman of Masterclass Stocks and ordered one of his semi inletted Laminate stocks for my action about 3 weeks ago. And now today i get an email from him saying he is putting my adjustable butt plate on today and it will ship in a couple of days!!!!

Hmm now what to do?? Guess i will have to get another action.

I also see Midway sent me an email notification that they also got a shipment of the Choate Tactical long action stocks in. So if Tactical Works is out Hurry midway has em.

Savage_Jake
04-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Looks like my 300 Win Mag project is gonna be a go now that I can get an affordable stock.

ANYONE HAVE A LONG ACTION STAGGER FEED FOR SALE??????????????? ;D

cleatus
04-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Finally, I emailed Choate last August and was told it would be available in a few weeks. It never materialized until now.

GaCop
04-08-2010, 06:09 AM
I received the Midway e-mail too, went to their site and immediately saw they were already on back order >:(

Crankfire Systems
04-11-2010, 01:34 PM
I received the Midway e-mail too, went to their site and immediately saw they were already on back order >:(

Just rec. the shipping notice for one of these from the current backorder status. As of today, the Midway site shows both the RH and LH stocks are now available.

HTH
Emory Jones

mytwo60
04-12-2010, 01:05 PM
Dang it! I got a LA with centerfeed. >:(

ontarget
04-13-2010, 12:36 PM
I just called Tactical Works and ordered some other stuff. I asked after reading the previous posts if they still had the stocks in stock and they said yes, no back order there; posted the URL below. Thought I could help this time around.

http://www.tacticalworks.com/Savage-LA-Staggered-Feed-Old-Style-Tactical-Stock-by-Choate.html

GaCop
04-16-2010, 07:13 AM
Now to sweet talk "the one who must be obeyed- Finance Minister" and I'll FINALLY have one!

Crankfire Systems
04-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Mine came this morning. I LIKE IT!!! Not a McMillan for sure, but for $182.00 it's a hell of a deal, especially considering just how BARREN the landscape has been for anything in Long Action Savage tactical stocks. Well it is off to the shop to see what it will take to use these for centerfeed as well, and then on to the milling machine to inlet it for Savage DBM bottom metal. As an aside, I talked with Jeff at CDI last week about his soon to be released bottom metal for LA to use the Accuracy International 300 Win. mags, he said about 6 weeks. Can't wait for that to become available.

Thanks,
Emory Jones

Crankfire Systems
04-16-2010, 06:32 PM
Well it is all good news on this particular endeavor:

It would be more than doable to put a center feed mag box in the Choate. The inside width of the stock is a perfect fit on the mag box and very little if any filling required to fit it fore and aft. Might require a little inletting on the two rear corners of the stock well to clear the corners of the mag box. The CF box is just a tad too tall for the original stock inlet, but a milling machine would make short work of deepening it, or one might just remove a little material from the bottom edge of the mag box and be done with it. And if a mill is available, I think even the original retaining clip could be used. If not, some creative rigging would be in order to retain the mag box in the stock. I didn't spend a lot of time looking at the options, since I don't use the internal mag setups at all.

Which brings us to the Savage Detachable Magazine bottom metal. The stock has plenty of material in all the right places for the inletting and everything clears if just by a hair. All the original Savage parts and screws etc. work without any modification, and the mag feeds perfectly. The Choate stock contours are just a tad different than the original Savage stock, and the bottom metal sets just a little deeper than it does on the Savage stock. But it matches in really good all things considered, every bit as nice as the Badger bottom metal I just inletted into a B&C Medalist for a Remington action. The original Savage steel trigger guard is maybe .040" narrower than the trigger guard that Choate sends with the stock, but again no big deal. Finally I have a Composite Tactical Stock with detachable mag for one of my 300 Win. projects, that didn't cost half the national debt of Nicaragua!!!!

Thanks,
Emory Jones

mopar440
04-21-2010, 10:38 AM
keep us posted on CDI metal would really like to add that to my setup if it didnt cost to much

i was kinda wondering why they released the stag feed first and not the center feed but maybe its in the near future i hope

Crankfire Systems
04-21-2010, 09:40 PM
I am sure Choate's decision was based on pure economics. There have to be just abunch of the old staggerfeeds out there as compared to centerfeeds/detachable mag rifles. They need to hit the broadest market they can to amortize their mold and tooling costs a rapidly as possible. And it is apparent that this same stock can be modified into centerfeed/detachable mag configuration easily when they are ready to go there. The long action Savages seem to be sort of the "Redheaded Stepchild" as far as all the after market folks are concerned anyway, so they may well want to kind of sneak up on the Long Action Tactical market and see how it goes for them. Obviously their short action Savage Tactical has done well for them, the price went up pretty rapidly on those.

Jeff said he anticipated that the Long Action Bottom Metal would sell for the same as the others he makes, $209.00+the AI Mags @$75.00 ea. The Bottom Metal Price isn't bad at all, but boy Accuracy International is plenty proud of their magazines!! But then they are some really first class mags, and I am "Cheap" I guess.

Oh well, back to waiting for Jeff's Bottom Metal, PTG guages, Kreiger Barrel, Shaw Barrel, Hornady dies, LBT Molds, Lee sizers, RCBS dies, and everything else that takes months and months to get....................

Thanks,
Emory Jones

tacticalj
04-21-2010, 11:53 PM
Anybody got one and installed it yet? I too like the look, but wasn't really pleased with my ulitamte sniper and am not sure if I wanna buy another Choate! I really wish B&C would make a long action, stagger feed, Tactical Medalist! However, if this gets good reviews I may try em again. FYI, i found two of three on gunbroker under rifle parts. Type in search word Savage and you should find them. I'm gonna order a stock from either boyds or SSS.

mprtech
04-22-2010, 10:39 AM
I got mine last night and installed it. I like the shape, the barrel channel is true, for a heavy barrel it fills the channel nicely. Unlike the super sniper I had before which seems as if the barrel channel was cut for a 1.25" straight tube. The plastic trigger guard is cheesy and the mold lines on the stock are rather pronounced. I need to add some texture to the grip, but other than that the fit is good. The tang sits flush also unlike the SS which the tang was 3/16" high, it looked hokey. Overall a good stock for the price.

mopar440
04-24-2010, 01:58 AM
i know this doesnt apply to the stock maybe someone might have it
does any body know the inside lenght of a AI mag