PDA

View Full Version : 338-06 build.

Scalian
07-19-2014, 01:36 PM
This build was done on a Shilen DGR long action with a savage threaded PAC-Nor barrel I bought off a member of the site. Decided to try a custom action after looking at how much I have in my 243 action after time and true, changing bolt handles and fluting bolts and all that fun stuff. So far it seems to be a kind of best of both worlds savage barrel nut and Remington triggers and stock. Now if the bolt heads were just easy to get to change I would say its dang near a perfect set up.

I got my rifle put together now time to start playing with loads. I picked up a Box of 200g Nosler e-tip and a bottle of IMR-4320 to start with. Plan to try some accubonds and partitions when I find some available to order up. Rifle came out like i wanted 8lbs with scope. Should make it nice for carrying around.

Shilen DGR action
Shilen hinged floor plate
Jewell trigger
B@C Alaskan II stock in red/black
Fluted PAC-Nor 22" barrel.

Scope on it now is just a Nikon omega i had sitting around. Leaning towards a Leupold CDS but haven't made a final decision.

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx318/scalian5718/photo-1.jpg (http://s767.photobucket.com/user/scalian5718/media/photo-1.jpg.html)

bootsmcguire
07-19-2014, 01:46 PM
Very Very nice.

I'll look forward to seeing how she shoots.

Scalian
07-19-2014, 01:52 PM
Im going to be happy if she is a MOA or better shooter. Being put together to hunt with MOA to 400 yards should be plenty accurate enough for bringing home dinner. Also looking forward to not lugging a 10 or 11 pound gun around this year for late doe season here in Iowa.

bootsmcguire
07-19-2014, 02:37 PM
I here ya. I have been carrying my 12FV in 308 for that late season. I have a few others built that should do me a bit better. I may practice with my 450BM carbine and see if it will fill the bill for that season since its nice and light and short for sticking out the windows in my blind.

Where I am really excited is using my Striker in 444 Marlin for the regular Shotgun/Pistol Seasons. It's going to be fun I am hoping.

Scalian
07-19-2014, 10:20 PM
I here ya. I have been carrying my 12FV in 308 for that late season. I have a few others built that should do me a bit better. I may practice with my 450BM carbine and see if it will fill the bill for that season since its nice and light and short for sticking out the windows in my blind.

Where I am really excited is using my Striker in 444 Marlin for the regular Shotgun/Pistol Seasons. It's going to be fun I am hoping.

Yeah so many options to choose from. It seems like I end up carrying something diffrent every year. Going to try and make this rifle my goto med/big game gun and try and stop switching things around so much. Probably wont work out.

bootsmcguire
07-19-2014, 10:44 PM
I have a sure fire cure for too much switching around.....................buy another action and build another! ;)

Scalian
07-19-2014, 11:09 PM
Always a good option lol. Think the next build will have to be a left handed youth/women sized rifle for the GF, then I need a dedicated rifle for my 6br barrel i have, and on and on. I guess the other option might be to just stop buying different barrels.

bootsmcguire
07-19-2014, 11:26 PM
That is never an option. Rule of the Barrel Nut Brootherhood #3: there is no such thing as having too many barrels.