PDA

View Full Version : Barrel nut help...

RyanG
07-19-2014, 12:28 PM
I have a model 11 308 that has a DBM system on it. This morning I went to pull the barrel so I can replace it with a 7mm-08.

Long story short: I cant get my barrel nut wrench on the barrel nut. Is it possible that it is a large shank? Dont want to take the vice grips to it just yet. The rifle is in perfect shape so I may leave it a 308.

Thanks guys..... maybe a stupid question... but I just cannot get that stupid wrench on it.....

RYan

foxx
07-19-2014, 12:51 PM
I think the nuts' outside diameters are the same. Is it smooth or notched? There are two types of notches. My wrench has one config on one end and a dif on the other. If it is smooth cut the dang thing off. Make a few partial cuts 90% thru and twist on it till it comes apart.

RyanG
07-19-2014, 01:29 PM
its notched... neither end will slip into the grooves..... hmmmmm.... is it gonna be vice grip time?

short round
07-19-2014, 01:59 PM
Check the wrench for burrs & rough spots, sometimes they need cleaned up with file & stone.

keeki
07-19-2014, 02:00 PM
Some of the teeth on your wrench may be a little bent or have burrs on them

foxx
07-19-2014, 02:31 PM
Mine don't always slip right on... gotta do a little jiggle dance.

earl39
07-19-2014, 02:47 PM
The newer notched nuts use the square teeth and the old style notch is the rounded teeth. If you have another rifle see if the wrench will fit the nut on it. If not you may have a bad wrench. Not likely but anything could happen. Large shank and small shank are the same diameter and the difference in in the length and the ID.

bootsmcguire
07-19-2014, 02:51 PM
Something else to try is use a piece of an old leather belt and put it between the jaws of the largest vice grips or pipe wrench you can find and then clamp the ever-living piss out of it.

I have had some nuts where my wrench didn't want to go onto, but nothing I couldn't over come by tapping the wrench on and doing the "jiggle dance" as foxx puts it. I would plan on replacing the nut and lug with some of the trued ones from NSS if you are having serious issues. That way you are good to go.

Ackevor
07-19-2014, 03:24 PM
Something else to try is use a piece of an old leather belt and put it between the jaws of the largest vice grips or pipe wrench you can find and then clamp the ever-living piss out of it.

I have had some nuts where my wrench didn't want to go onto, but nothing I couldn't over come by tapping the wrench on and doing the "jiggle dance" and foxx puts it. I would plan on replacing the nut and lug with some of the trued ones from NSS if you are having serious issues. That way you are good to go.
This or try something similar to this (http://www.amazon.com/Multi-use-Rubber-Strap-Wrench-8/dp/B003ZWBX0Q) rubber wrench, I would suggest maybe a stronger more stout one though, but you get the idea.

If the teeth on the nut and the wrench line up but you just cant get it on, simply file all the teeth a bit to smooth over the edges and get rid of any excess material that may inhibit its intended use.

FW Conch
07-19-2014, 03:30 PM
If I had to, and I never have, I might try to get a barrel nut off with a pipe wrench.

But I would "never" try to get one off with vise grips.

A little patience at a time like this is a good thing. Whatever is wrong with your nut wrench can probably be fixed with a little filing. And if you have one of those barrels that has blueing salts and/or thread locker in the threads you are asking for that "vise hammer" to slip and mess something up.

The 7mm08 is a slight improvement on the 308, but IMHO is not enough difference in performance to make a hasty barrel swap that you may not be completely ready for right now. I would shoot the 308 until you find out what is wrong with your wrench, fix the wrench, or get another one.

JMHO .... Just Sayin :-))....... Good Luck With It !....... Jim

RyanG
07-19-2014, 05:40 PM
I tried the wrench on two of my other rifles, it fits just fine. Im not in any hurry to swap things put, there than I just got a brand new 7mm-08 barrel that is screaming my name, no hurry here! It looks like I could make it go but like I said the rifle is to nice to mess it up. I have another 308 that is a full tactical Remington so the Savage would be a good donor rifle.

But, at this point Im going to wait and find a deal on another short action. My priorty now is to finish my 22-250 and start my son's 223AI....

I may order a new wrench in the mean time, and I didnt plan on vice grips.....

Dennis
07-19-2014, 09:08 PM
If I had to, and I never have, I might try to get a barrel nut off with a pipe wrench.

But I would "never" try to get one off with vise grips.

I agree with the above. I never ran into the situation your having. The barrel nut will compress and bind with the barrel threads especially using vise grips. Maybe a large long handle pipe wrench and apply pressure lightly. The only other alternative is to cut it off using a abrasive cut off wheel. Better have a steady hand. Body Shop tech's can easily do it.

You could have one of the teeth bent slightly on your wrench, but if it works on other barrel nuts, I would guess it's OK.

bootsmcguire
07-19-2014, 09:17 PM
I totally understand everyone's shyness about the vice grips, but with the leather between the jaws and the nut, the leather takes the brunt of the compression of the VG's and the nut's notches dig into the leather and thus off she comes.

Do as you all wish, everyone has a different way of doing things, and by all means use the proper nut wrench if you can, but I will say with notched nuts such as this it does work.

I normally avoid VG's if at all possible because they often round hex nuts and gall up whatever they are attached to, but in this case (as a last resort before cutting off the nut or something else) it can work.

Also if someone does need to try this, once the VG's are on nice and tight, and the need for a smack with a rubber hammer is needed (if at all) wrap the handles on the VG a couple of times with electrical tape to keep them from popping open when the rubber meets the steel.

Not ticked or intending to tick off anyone, just stating why in this case it normally works as long as the VG's are large enough.

Good luck and hope you figure out why the wrench don't fit.

RyanG
07-20-2014, 09:45 AM
Good morning all,

I got up early this morning to get a pork roast into the smoker..... after I got everything ready and in I got to thinking about that stupid barrel nut wrench and everything you all said. So anyway I went back out and started to work on the rifle a little again. I made the decision that one way or another that barrel nut was coming off. I dont shoot the rifle as it is so whats the point of having it in the safe. The wrench took a little "wiggle dance" and a few taps with a small hammer but it went on just fine. Came off just fine as well... the nut went into the trash after I was finished. The funny thing is that the wrench fits perfectly on my Northland Shooters nuts so I am thinking that I must have a nut that was a little larger than most. All ends well.

Got the new barrel installed just have to open up the barrel channel on the stock a little and she is ready to go. Hoping that later today I can get out and put a few rounds through it. The barrel is from Apache Gun Works and looks great. If it shoots half as good as it looks I will be stoked....

Again thanks all for the advise. Glad that I slept on it and didnt force it yesterday. Like FW Conch said.... dont get into a hurry......

Ryan