PDA

View Full Version : Purpose of removing scope for glass bedding

HiTekRedneck
03-31-2010, 07:59 AM
Been reading the forums since I got my new rifle, it's a Savage Model 11 in .223. It is pretty much bone stock and I'm just trying to get as much accuracy out of it until I can afford a new stock/barrel. Right now it shoots fairly consistent 1" at 100yds with factory ammo, little less on the loads I'm working on. Anyways on to my question. I'm wanting to glass bed the stock and see if it improves accuracy any or helps get rid of the occasional flyer. In some of the instructions I've read it says to remove the scope and rings, others it doesn't. Just wondering which is the correct way and if the scope needs to be removed what is the purpose of doing it?

deadeye
03-31-2010, 08:15 AM
One reason is that CONTRARY TO POPULAR BELIEF you CAN induce stress into the action through the scope mounting system.

Another is that you are handling the action a lot and why risk accidentally damaging the scope.

DennisH87
04-01-2010, 06:50 AM
You remove the scope so it doesn't get banged up. I wouldn't spend money on a barrel just yet. Shoot out the barrel that comes on the savage first. The factory barrel on my .22-250 shoots .3 MOA still and that's after about 2000 rounds. That is with handloads of course. I can't remember the last time I shot factory ammo. I wouldn't waste time glass bedding the original stock. Just buy a Bell and Carlson durramax for about $120 and glass bed that. I just got done bedding my durramax and groups went from .5 to a little under .4 MOA. Not a dramatic increase but those rounds are not my accuracy load. You can try to bed the factory stock but in my mind its just a waste of money and time.

Happy shootin and post some pics when your done. I'd like to see how it turns out.

HiTekRedneck
04-08-2010, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the info. I took some time and really went over the rifle to see what else might be causing the flyers. Although the barrel was floated, I guess it wasn't floated enough when it started getting warm and would just barely nudge part of the stock. Fired up the trust dremel and she is floated 1/8" all the way around now. Now back to working on loads. Not sure if my loading process is going to work out like I want, but I'm using a Ladder/OCW hybrid method. Ladder gets me to my charge range, then OCW to narrow it down. Going shooting this Sunday and guess I'll see if it works then. Here is the only pic I have of it at the moment, hopefully I'll have some nice groups to post after this weekend ;D

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w125/HiTekRedneck_album/firearms/savage-2.jpg

pdog06
04-08-2010, 07:33 AM
I have bedded rifles with both the scope on and the scope off. It is definately easier to do it with the scope off, with no chance of banging the scope up.

Blue Avenger
04-08-2010, 08:43 AM
make more work out of it! what do you use for a good lift point if you remove the carry handle?