PDA

View Full Version : Check my logic - newbie

deadduckflying
07-17-2014, 10:52 PM
I've got an older style (F prefix) 111, .300WM, SF with the side button eject DBM...and I want to build up this gun, without breaking the bank.
I've had this rifle for 12-14 years and only used to hunt elk, and I want to turn into a long range shooter and mainly learn from it and still use it to elk hunt.

My plan is to turn it into a top feed blind mag so I have more options for stocks. Most likely a Bell & Carlson stock, I really like the Medalist line; I'll bed the action myself, or at least try :)
I'm leaning towards a McGowen barrel, probably 24 or 26 inch, 1-9 or 1-10 twist, threaded and braked.
Replace the stock adjustable trigger (non accutrigger) with a Basix SAV-1.

I haven't even begun researching rails and mounts for the glass, but this is where I'm thinking about beginning.

Like I said, I'm a beginner, want to learn, and expect this to lead me down the path of rolling my own loads.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

bootsmcguire
07-18-2014, 12:08 AM
Sounds like you have a good plan going there.

Best advice I can give you at this point is read the Savage FAQ (http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?123-savage-faq-s) section here on the site. There are some great articles in there showing the how to's of building your Savage and identify what parts you have and/or need.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress, and feel free to post up any and all questions in the proper boards here. There are a bunch of great guys around here that are happy to help out fellow shooters.