PDA

View Full Version : New Stevens

mytwo60
03-31-2010, 12:48 AM
So I just bought a new Stevens long action rifle (.473 bolt face). I am planning to build this for big game hunting which includes elk.

My caliber of choice will be either 284 or 280AI. What I need help is the following:

1/ Trigger
2/ Stock
3/ Which caliber from above ;D

Any Stevens guys out there who has done this before please help me out. I am also looking for any advice on what to stay away from.

Thanks!

GaCop
03-31-2010, 06:11 AM
Tough choice there, two good calibers. I lean towards the 280AI only because I shoot that cartridge in a heavy barrel long range rig. In the past, I've used a Timney trigger and really liked it. I've also had good results with the older adjustable three screw factory triggers if you can find one.

Look at Boyd's, they have a nice laminate stock that will fit the long action if you want to go that route. Glass bedding will need to be done and floating the barrel. You'll need to swap out the factory recoil lug for a dead flat machined one from Sharp Shooter Supply or Brownells as part of your barrel change.

You didn't mention a scope but, a good scope for the money, IMHO, is a Meuller APV 4.5X14. It's a good clear scope that will serve well on a long range hunting rifle.

McKinneyMike
03-31-2010, 06:49 AM
So I just bought a new Stevens long action rifle (.473 bolt face). I am planning to build this for big game hunting which includes elk.

My caliber of choice will be either 284 or 280AI. What I need help is the following:

1/ Trigger
2/ Stock
3/ Which caliber from above ;D

Any Stevens guys out there who has done this before please help me out. I am also looking for any advice on what to stay away from.

Thanks!

1) Triggers: I would recommend either the Rifle Basix-2 or the Savage Shooter's Supply Competition trigger. I am installing a SSS Competition trigger on my new Stevens based build.
2) Stocks: Very personal item there. Weight is a factor with a carry rig. What style of stock? Traditional hunting style or more of a tactical style? Some good ones include the Bell & Carlson line as a starter with good construction quality. Depends upon how much you want to invest on this one. Laminated stocks offer the look of wood, but are heavier than the synthetic's.
3) Caliber: Tough one. The wildcat is more work, but a great one none the less.

Good luck and hoping that what ever you build is a bug hole shooting racsca!

ellobo
03-31-2010, 07:05 PM
Ditto on the Boyds stock. They do offer walnut which is lighter than the laminate. The JRS series is a good American Classic style stock. Price is right, less than $100 I think. Worth checking out.
What range are you planning on shooting at your elk, up close and personal or 4-600 yds? Isnt the .284 a short action cartridge? Your choice of the .280AI is good for the long range stuff, but for shorter range I would go with the .35 Whelen or .338-06, bang flop cartridges. I wouldnt use a competition trigger on a hunting rifle, too sensitive for cold fingers. Keep it to 3 lb pull. The SSS standard, Rifle basics or Timney are all good triggers. Lots of good scopes out there, dont get one with a power more than you need for hunting.
We need, of course, pictures and range report when you are done.

El Lobo

usmc_mwroseberry
03-31-2010, 07:13 PM
You may want to look at the stock mod I'm working on. If it works like I think it will it will result in a lightweight semi rigid stock that you're not afraid of scratching for very cheap. And will leave you money for the more important things like barrel, optic and trigger. Although just adding my B&C stock and my 16x SS reduced my groups a bit.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,31730.0.html

Good luck,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

mytwo60
04-01-2010, 02:26 AM
Thanks for the inputs you guys.

I prefer to stay with fiber glass stocks as laminate to me is more for target shooting (IMO). One thing I didn't see or couldn't find is a B&C medalist for savage 110 that looks similar to the short action stock. I have only found the hunting type stock which is fine but I'm curious if they have one similar to the short action?

So for triggers, which is the easiest to install and I assume they all come with a safety?

Yeah, and the dreaded scope expense. I know what I want but will have to save a few dollars for it. Leupold of course is my preferred scope but I will also look at others.

McKinneyMike
04-01-2010, 05:16 AM
I wouldnt use a competition trigger on a hunting rifle, too sensitive for cold fingers. Keep it to 3 lb pull. The SSS standard, Rifle basics or Timney are all good triggers.

El Lobo

SSS only lists their Competition and the Evolution on their website. Do they make one that has a higher pull adjustment that is not listed?

usmc_mwroseberry
04-01-2010, 07:47 AM
This is where I got my short action stock:

http://shootersdiscount.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=49

Just make sure you know if you have a stagger or centerfeed before you order.

Good luck,
Merritt

ellobo
04-02-2010, 01:17 PM
I just got an e-mail flyer from Boyds. They have thier JRS laminate stock on sale for 110 actions for $75. Limited time offer. The also have the Ross style available, thats the thumbhole version. Same price. Only nutmeg color available, but thats a nice color.

El Lobo

PS: both those stocks are hunting type, not target or benchrest