PDA

View Full Version : Building a 300wsm

limige
07-16-2014, 11:34 PM
Do you need a mag bolt for this cartridge? Large shank?

Just wondering what I need to find in way of an action. I may build one down the road

bootsmcguire
07-17-2014, 12:43 AM
Yes you need a mag bolt face regardless of action type. No you do not need a large shank.

If it were me and I was building one, I would pick up a factory 7mm Rem Mag or 300 Win mag with a centerfeed style magazine. This way you get a longer action so you can set those bullets way out there if you want, and the mag works perfectly as long as you slide your rounds to the back (which you should do in any magazine). If you must run a short action you can either pick up a factory built WSM rifle (which will be a large shank) and rebarrel it, or you can use a regular short action and convert it. You would have to switch to a WSM magazine and have to either order a custom bolt head for the SA-mag or use a factory pushfeed WSM head (and with the factory WSM heads you also need the special WSM firing pin), so really the long action is a much simpler swap. As for a barrel you will obviously have to order one for small shank. Many barrel makers will build you in a WSM on a small shank but some won't since Savage doesn't make them that way. Unless you are going to run a lighter contour like a sporter or featherweight, there is no reason you need a Large Shank. And even if you want a lighter contour, you just have your barrel maker cut the contour straight shank over the chamber before starting the taper.

I have a 6mm-WSM on a small shank and have had no issues or problems what so ever. Give Jim at Apache Gunworks (http://www.apachegunworks.com) a shout and see what he can do for you. He built my 6-WSM and it is a real shooter. Mine does well under 1/2MOA. Jim does great work and can hook you up.

LoneWolf
07-17-2014, 12:48 AM
Good info. Thinking of going this route when I finally get around to building a magnum rifle.

limige
07-17-2014, 01:15 AM
I would prefer SA since thats what its designed for. And the thought was to do a tactical short barrel build with drop mags and threaded for a brake.

limige
07-17-2014, 01:16 AM
Could I go with the varmint action from NSS and change the bolt around?

bootsmcguire
07-17-2014, 01:26 AM
Should be able to do that, you'll just need a Pushfeed WSM bolt head and the proper firing pin, and of course the applicable magazines.