PDA

View Full Version : Switching from right to left

boostless
07-16-2014, 02:36 PM
I was in a motorcycle accident and can't shoot right handed anymore. Not a huge problem since I am actually left eye dominant. If I get a left handed rifle can I switch the top bolt release parts from my hog hunter over to a new left handed rifle that I pick up?

Nor Cal Mikie
07-16-2014, 03:42 PM
Can you operate the bolt with your right hand if you shoot a right hand rig left handed? I'am right handed and wanted to try a left hand rig, right handed (from the bench) to see how it would work. Turned out I like it more than my right hand rigs.
Shoot it right handed, operate the bolt and feed ammo with my free left hand.
In your case, shoot a right hand rig, left handed and sight with your left eye? Just thinking out loud.

boostless
07-16-2014, 06:11 PM
I don't like having to remove my support hand to operate the bolt. I am having a Manners stock made so I don't really wanna have to get another one made when I decide to go with left hand action.

Nor Cal Mikie
07-16-2014, 08:44 PM
I looked up the "Hog Hunter" to see for myself what it looked like.
The "top" bolt release is the same as a left hand model. (being a Model 11/111) It's mounted on the right side.
Only difference would be the side the bolt handle comes out on.
I've plugged the right hand bolt handle cut in a right hand stock and recut it on the left side for my "left hand" Model 10 single shot action that I mounted in a right hand thumbhole BR style stock. Not sure about feeding from the mag between the right and left hand models as I single feed all my rigs.

foxx
07-17-2014, 12:23 AM
The bolt release on all top bolt release models are on the right, regardless of which side the bot is on. If you want the bolt release moved over to the left side, I am guessing Fred at Sharp Shooter Supply could do it. It may prove costly, though. He would have to make the part himself.

boostless
07-17-2014, 06:22 AM
I'm not looking to see if it can be switch side to side, just if it is the same on a right hand vs left hand rifle. From what I've been able to find, it's the same as long as it top bolt release or bottom release.

Nor Cal Mikie
07-17-2014, 08:20 AM
Bolt handle cut will be the only difference.