PDA

View Full Version : Is purchasing hand loaded ammo legal?

romad97
07-16-2014, 12:12 PM
A guy has about 50 rounds of old ammo that he handloaded and no longer needs. I would never shoot this ammo but, it is really cheap and I want the brass as its new and hard to find. I definately don't want to do anything illegal though and a friend of mine is cautioning me against it as he says it is illegal to purchase hand loaded ammo. I have done a dozen searches and can't find any definitive answers to this.

scope eye
07-16-2014, 12:29 PM
It is perfectly legal, if you shoot it or not is your call.

Dean

Stork
07-16-2014, 12:36 PM
The correct answer to your question may depend on your city/state.

Normally, no, it is not illegal to purchase reloaded ammo. That being said, other than 22 LR I won't shoot anything in my rifles I haven't loaded myself. Pistols, rarely, but I have shot a thousand or so military match hardball through my 45 but 10's of thousands of lead wadcutter's.

In your case, you want them for the brass only and have no intention of actually shooting them, so my call would be you're good to go.
Al

jpdown
07-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Not sure how it could be illegal to make a person to person sale of custom loaded/factory ammunition from a Federal standpoint. You see it done on Gunbroker all the time. There are most likely some states or cities with restrictions. It would need to be shipped UPS ground with the proper markings on the package. Contact your local ATF agent for the the correct information. I'm sure your local gun or pawn shop has the number on speed dial.

romad97
07-16-2014, 12:43 PM
Yes, I would definately never fire hanloaded ammo. I put a WTB thrad out about some 25-06 brass. I got a reply from a guy who has 50 new and 50 new but already loaded rounds. He does not want to break them apart but is willing to give me 1 heck of a deal on the whole ting. Again, all I would do is break the bullets apart for the brass. I hate to pass up a good deal since 25-06 stuff is virtually impossible to find these days but, I definately do not want to put myself at risk, legally that is, just to save a few bucks.

boostless
07-16-2014, 02:54 PM
My understanding is that you have to have a license to manufacture AND sell ammunition. He could sell it as "parts" ammo that you would need to pull down. I wouldn't shoot any hand loaded ammo I didn't load my self in my firearms. If something were to go wrong who would be the one to blame?

boostless
07-16-2014, 02:55 PM
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/manufacturers.html#ammo-reloading

olskool
07-16-2014, 04:35 PM
man please! don't we have any rights left? if i wont to buy reloads, i don't because i am a handloader, i would buy them and not advertise it. we have given most of our rights up, we deserve what we get, an obomanation....

scope eye
07-16-2014, 05:05 PM
Buying of a guy one time does not make it a business.

Dean

strut64
07-16-2014, 05:52 PM
I have been shooting 25-06 since 1971. the brass is easy to resize from 270 or 30-06 brass. I have done it often. In fact you can also go all the way from 35 Whelen.

boostless
07-16-2014, 06:07 PM
Buying of a guy one time does not make it a business.

Dean

If you read carefully it says "in the business of" which to me doesn't mean your making a business of it, just engaged in the act of selling.

It's up to the OP if he wants to do it. I personally wouldn't intend on shooting the ammo, just use of components.

romad97
07-16-2014, 06:25 PM
Yea there is just too much confusion on this subject. This thread alone shows that nobody can agree on what the law actually says. Call me old fashined or what have you but, I am going to pass the deal up as I would rather just not get into anything that could be remotely constrewed as illegal, just not worth it. I even offered the guy some extra money to break apart the bullets and he refuses, he is adamate about either selling them as is or throwing them away. It sucks to lose out on such a good deal but, I am not going to take the chance on it, just way too many people with different opinions on this for me to really trust what is actually right or wrong. I read the ATF laws personally and they are about as vague as any other information that pops up on the net as well. I guess I will just keep looking and end up paying double or triple what the stuff is actually worth.

GaryB
07-16-2014, 06:57 PM
If he reloaded the ammo can't he pull the bullets and dump the powder and then sell you the primed brass? Maybe he doesn't want to go toe that much trouble though.

Just a thought.
Gary B.

romad97
07-16-2014, 07:13 PM
I asked him to do this. I even offered to pay a few extra bucks for him to do this and he said no. He said it wasn't worth his time and effort.

olskool
07-16-2014, 07:15 PM
if it's 25-06 brass you need let me know i have a bunch i don't need. let me know.

boostless
07-16-2014, 07:15 PM
how much ammo is it?

romad97
07-16-2014, 07:21 PM
He has 44 peices of brand new, 11 peices once fired, and 33 pieces of loaded never fired. He won't sell just the brass though, he will only sell all or none.

romad97
07-16-2014, 07:22 PM
if it's 25-06 brass you need let me know i have a bunch i don't need. let me know.

Yes its brass I need. PM sent.

cstone
07-16-2014, 09:16 PM
Buy it as components, not re-manufactured ammunition. If he has assembled components that you will need to pull down, the price should reflect the work you put into pulling it down.

foxx
07-17-2014, 12:16 AM
I truly don't believe you need to be concerned about whether or not someone else is licensed as a particular business. It is not your responsibility. If what he is doing requires a license (I read the regs and I believe it clearly states he des not), then it is HIS responsibility to be licensed before he sells them to you. It is NOT your responsibility to determine whether or not he has the proper licensing.

Having said all of that, I would not buy it if it was my intention to fire them, you have no idea what it is. However, as you stated, you only intend to use the brass once pulled. I would not even hesitate if the price is right.