PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Mark ii - polishing the bolt

Alby mangles
07-16-2014, 05:00 AM
Hi all,

I've read on other forums about stripping down the bolt and sanding and polishing the bolt and internals in order to achieve a smooth operation and even lighter trigger pull!?!
my question for the savage universe is, has anyone here tried it, and if so what parts did you pay any particular attention to.
also did it make a drastic change??
i own a bsev 22lr with accutrigger and e receiver

:help:

Thanks
alby

mjphawk
07-17-2014, 06:03 PM
Here's mine

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?31202-Savage-FV-SR-Project

Alby mangles
07-17-2014, 10:42 PM
Wow!

looks like an awesome build!

i ended up pulling the bolt down this morning and sanded and polished all the parts like you did.
i didn't however pull apart the top pin with adjacent pin holding it in place, I will soon though

the other pin that sits forward of that pin now seems to keep falling out when I remove the bolt. There was nothing holding it in when I pulled it apart so am quite perplexed at the moment???

after putting it all back together, I've found that she breaks nice and crisp and it does indeed seem to have made the trigger pull lighter, very impressed with me )

the apachee trigger kit sounds good, I was looking at the "SAV-RAT" TRIGGER but will check out the 'pachee
i did see somewhere one chap took to his trigger with a dremel and cut down where the trigger spring sits on the trigger but that seems a little drastic I think. as a novice benchrest shooter I'm after a nice light crisp trigger!

and how good are the muellers? I just got an eraticator 8.5-25 a few days ago and while not yet range tested I'm very happy with the glass and dot!

tNks for the response hawk, greatly appreciated!!!!!!

mjphawk
07-17-2014, 11:38 PM
Not sure I was able to follow the talk about the pins.

I'm a novice myself. The gun shoots a very consistent 1.5 MOA but I am having difficulties getting better than that. I like the scope but until I can figure out what is causing my accuracy issues I won't rule out that the scope may be partially at fault. I do not think it is the issue and suspect it is the way I am shooting with a bipod.

You'll not be sorry with the Apache kit and my trigger adjusted far lower than it should be kept at (if not for the accu trigger blade slam fired would have occurred when closing the bolt)

Alby mangles
07-18-2014, 08:43 PM
Hey hawk,
i meant in the top half of the bolt.
there's one pin which is removed by knocking out the smaller pin with a modified nail.

then there's the smaller pin that sits further forward of that.
That's the pin that now keeps falling out! !!
In your pic of your stripped down bolt it's the pin to the right of the ones you highlighted in red
Please excuse the extreme newbie jargon!

mjphawk
07-18-2014, 10:43 PM
Hey hawk,
i meant in the top half of the bolt.
there's one pin which is removed by knocking out the smaller pin with a modified nail.

then there's the smaller pin that sits further forward of that.
That's the pin that now keeps falling out! !!
In your pic of your stripped down bolt it's the pin to the right of the ones you highlighted in red
Please excuse the extreme newbie jargon!

I think I would have to take my bolt back apart to refresh myself on the interactions between all of the parts in order to be any help to you. I'll reply back if I get around to it this weekend.

Alby mangles
07-19-2014, 04:56 AM
http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/Alby180/media/imagejpg1_zpscc839ac1.jpg.html

the pin I'm talking about is the one on the right of the spring here.
it keeps falling out now ?!?!

bremereric
07-19-2014, 07:40 AM
http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj618/Alby180/imagejpg1_zpscc839ac1.jpg (http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/Alby180/media/imagejpg1_zpscc839ac1.jpg.html)

Alby mangles
07-19-2014, 08:03 AM
That's the little sucker !
she keep slidin out when I remove the bolt

Alby mangles
07-28-2014, 05:18 AM
Bump

the pin to the right of the spring in bremereric's picture keeps sliding out of my bolt, how does it hold in place?

anybody?

mjphawk
07-28-2014, 08:01 AM
This might sound obvious but it looks like from the picture that one side of the pin has a lip on it. Did you reinstall the bolt with the lip facing inward so the inner wall of the bolt holds the pin in place? I looked at my bolt and can only access one side of that pin without disassembling the entire bolt again.

Alby mangles
07-30-2014, 04:01 AM
Thanks hawk!!!
i had it installed the wrong way round. D'oh!
had to separate the two halves and insert the pin through the hole of the opposite side.
sweet as a nut!
thanks again mate!