PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Basix SAV-2 vs SSS Competition Trigger

Pages : 1 [2]

Mach2
07-19-2014, 12:57 PM
I have a $20 wheeler engineering trigger scale (spring) . It helps adjust and tune etc. Even though it just goes from 8 oz to 8 lbs. Certainly cheap but serves my purposes for hunting and recreational casual target shooting.

This is as good as any for normal purposes. It will even distinguish between 44 0zs and 40 ozs. You don't really want an analog gauge that measures over about 8 lbs.

If you wanna you can spend more money and get a digital for even more preciseness but it isn't necessary

smokndav
07-23-2014, 06:52 AM
I have the Rifle Basix SAV-2 in both model 12s I have and love them. I do mostly bench rest shooting so set at around 8oz. works for me.
The trigger now comes mostly assembled so a little less work in getting it mounted but the sear return spring can be hard to get into place. I made a tool out of an old screwdriver that makes is much easier.

Dennis
07-23-2014, 06:19 PM
Delete

Dennis
07-23-2014, 06:20 PM
what are you guys using for trigger pull gauges ,,,,,,,,,thanks for your answers

Believe it or not, I use a certified digital hand held fish scale to measure trigger pull and total rifle weight.

limige
07-23-2014, 07:38 PM
Thanks Dennis! I was trying to figure a good way to measure rifle weight

DanSavage
07-23-2014, 07:49 PM
If you have a good bathroom scale, observe your weight then stand on it holding your rifle, that will give you a rough ball park of rifle weight.

ger42
07-23-2014, 10:47 PM
I have the Rifle Basix SAV-2 in both model 12s I have and love them. I do mostly bench rest shooting so set at around 8oz. works for me.
The trigger now comes mostly assembled so a little less work in getting it mounted but the sear return spring can be hard to get into place. I made a tool out of an old screwdriver that makes is much easier.
Can you post a pic of tool you made?

sixonetonoffun
07-25-2014, 11:29 AM
No mentions of.the Timney. Any reasons in particular? I like the looks of the nickled one but at the last minute settled on an Axis II for its accu-trigger.

LoneWolf
07-25-2014, 12:25 PM
No mentions of.the Timney. Any reasons in particular? I like the looks of the nickled one but at the last minute settled on an Axis II for its accu-trigger.

I don't think Timney has a trigger comparable to the RB SAV-2. At least not one that I've seen.

michaelnel
08-03-2014, 11:29 AM
I installed a SAV-2 in my .308 Model 10FCP HS-Precision the same day I bought the rifle. The instructional video is detailed, but leaves unanswered questions. Ultimately there was some fitting required (the SAV-2 bracket would not slide far enough back in the receiver to get the pin through) and a LOT of fiddling with the screws. But now it has an ultra crisp break at about 1 1/4 lbs with no overtravel and no slam fires, and the safety works perfectly. For right now I don't feel I need the pull any lighter than it is.

michaelnel
08-03-2014, 11:31 AM
All you need is a piece of mechanic's wire or even coathanger wire, bend about a 1/4" radius curve in the end. It shows how to use the tool in the installation video.

EDIT: Ooops! Wrong spring and wrong tool above. For the sear spring I just used a bamboo chopstick to push the coil of the spring into the right location, then pushed the pin through from the other side with my finger. The wood tool has the advantage of not scratching or marring anything, and it is also less likely to slip under pressure than a hard metal tool.