PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

sbarcewski
07-14-2014, 12:31 AM
I just finished my .300WM build and will spend a lot of time dialing that in. However, one of my hunting buddies has a 110 in 7mm Mag and an ER Shaw kit to swap it out to .264 WM. He wants $450 for both (probably can offer him $400). Here are the options I see:
1-buy it and keep it 7mm Mag
2-buy it and swap it out to 264 WM

So.......
Give me your opinion of the 2 calibers above (I have had mild introductions with the 7mm but know almost nothing about the .264) or give me a different option for the rifle.

BTW, I am going to be shooting long range with this one as well. I have my hunting rifles and most of my builds as of late are for target fun at long range.

Thanks
Scott

yobuck
07-14-2014, 11:29 AM
I just finished my .300WM build and will spend a lot of time dialing that in. However, one of my hunting buddies has a 110 in 7mm Mag and an ER Shaw kit to swap it out to .264 WM. He wants $450 for both (probably can offer him $400). Here are the options I see:
1-buy it and keep it 7mm Mag
2-buy it and swap it out to 264 WM

So.......
Give me your opinion of the 2 calibers above (I have had mild introductions with the 7mm but know almost nothing about the .264) or give me a different option for the rifle.

BTW, I am going to be shooting long range with this one as well. I have my hunting rifles and most of my builds as of late are for target fun at long range.

Thanks
Scott

First i have to put myself in your shoes, since my only interest would be hunting, id stick with what you have.
Id only buy the rig with the idea of changing the barrel, as it would offer up a good cartridge somewhat different from what you have.
The 7 mag would give you nothing of an advantage over the 300 wm.

D.ID
07-14-2014, 09:37 PM
Agreed, 7mm will not be a step up from a 300.
264 may be competitive wind fighting long range caliber with less recoil, but the same can be said for the 7mm.
I don't know much about the 264 mag personally but if you were interested in a lighter caliber it might be worth looking into.
I am to the point now days were I expect either exceptionally efficiency or exceptional power....... everything in-between is just expensive without the pay off, entirely possible I am becoming a grouchy old man already so that's my $.02 for what it's worth.

sbarcewski
07-15-2014, 01:41 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

What other calibers would be a doable option out of the 7mm? the 6mm's are hot right now but what am I looking at in terms of parts, price and more importantly is it a realistic goal to get to one of the 6mm's in the 110 action? I have also been thinking about a .243, but I still have all the same questions.

Scott

D.ID
07-15-2014, 06:37 AM
243 would be a snap. Change the bolt head to the 308 bolt face and put a 30-06 magazine under it. Add a 1 in 8 twist heavy from your favorite barrel maker and you should be rolling. Certain 6mm heavy bullets can be very tough to find lately, just F.Y.I..
For all around purposes (if you reload) I would also consider the 243AI, 243SLR, 260rem and 6.5x55 sweed.

sbarcewski
07-16-2014, 04:43 PM
D.ID
That is what I'm looking for! Changing out the bolt face is fine with me. I really like my CDI bottom metal for the .300WM. Could I use the Bottom metal for a LA .308 from them or another source (PTG perhaps) with a .308 DBM. Or would I have to stick with a blind mag.

I'm researching the topic now, but what specifically is the difference between the .243 and the .243AI? Just the shoulder on the case? Other than case capacity what advantages does it give you?

Scott

D.ID
07-16-2014, 08:18 PM
The 243ai gives a good edge in capacity over the unformed case and reduces the neck stretch typically associated with the traditional 243 neck and shoulder combination. Minor disadvantage in the need to fire form cases but everything has it's price. There is some comparison load data posted at accurate shooter in the 243 cartridge data that gives a good comparison between the two.
The 243SLR is actually called the 6mmSLR and improves the shoulder with the die instead of fire forming. Any of these cartridges should feed from any long action 308 magazine.