PDA

View Full Version : Model 11 very tight to chamber PPU 243

Pages : 1 [2]

Brent
07-15-2014, 04:53 PM
+1 on Brent's reply. Sounds like you need to tighten the B.A.S. nut on the handle side of the bolt. That should fix the loose handle and also fix the primary extraction issue. Clean the chamber with a good brush to remove all grit, grim and powder residue. Then get a go gage and check headspace. I put 1-layer of scotch tape on the go gage head and then use it as a no-go gage. Give your sizing die slight turn to bump back the shoulder on known piece of tight brass. What brand of brass are you using? Sounds like a tight chamber and over-pressure signs to me.

This is good info all the way around. I do the same thing and so do many gun smiths.

BillPa
07-15-2014, 07:17 PM
Eventially it does.
When the bolt is fully closed & in the ready to fire position, the handle will move up & down slightly, about 1/4".

I just found this youtube vid on Savage Headspace.
More of an FYI.
http://youtu.be/9ZWdzNmrnAU

First of all headspace has zero to do with the issue you're describing. Just so we're on the same page....
http://i56.tinypic.com/23kcbow.jpg

When assembled and the bolt assembly screw is tightened the bolt handle and bolt body essentially become one piece and move together in unison. On the right side of the bolt body you'll see a key( tab) sticking out, there is a second one the other side. They interlock into slots in the bolt handle boss.

Now, if the handle rotates a 1/4" but the body doesn't moved there's a problem and needs corrected.

BIll

castells007
07-16-2014, 07:33 AM
Thanks for all the great info. I have the headspace issue, another poster has the loose handle issue.

So, I think I am just going to shoot better ammo since it seems that Federal and Winchester do fine in my Savage. But, I am stuck with 300 rounds of PPU 243 that are tight. Is there anything that I can do to the ammo to make it run better. Since we are only talking on the order of thousandth's, is lightly hand sanding the PPU cartridges around the shoulder safe/good idea?

I don't really want to have the headspace adjusted on the gun, but I am considering having it checked just to make sure that it isn't out of spec (unlikely IMO).

Thanks.

mikgarus
07-16-2014, 08:20 AM
I had the same problem with the 243 PPU ammo in two different rifles. A Tikka & a Ruger.

Brent
07-16-2014, 09:52 AM
Sanding the brass could result in a head separation and damage to the rifle.

If you had a body ONLY sizing die you could push the shoulder back. Some people will argue that is not safe but I say BS, as long as nothing sets off the primer, like a firing pin, you are good to go.

jonbearman
07-16-2014, 10:09 AM
Like I said early on in this thread,go to a gunsmith and have him check the headspace if you don't want to buy one.

castells007
07-16-2014, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the responses.

Is the head separation worry with sanding the cases due to thinning the case walls? And thus weakenening the case?

Thanks.

teebirdhyzer
07-18-2014, 09:18 PM
I believe the case head separation issue possibly caused by sanding the brass is a result of the roughing up or texture put on the brass by the sanding. When the round fires and the brass is expanded by the pressure, it usually expands lenthwise to take up any space allowed. If the brass is not smooth, it cannot expand properly and can actually separate or tear under the pressure. At least, this is how I understand the concept.

castells007
07-19-2014, 09:57 PM
Update...

Shot the ppu today. No problems extracting and the bolt wasnt super hard to close. No signs of overpressure either. So i'm gonna assume good to go. Also the 90gr PPU shot tighter groups than the 100 gr winchester.

Thanks for the help. I think i was overthinking it!