PDA

View Full Version : 38/357 caase in a 10/110??

Nor Cal Mikie
07-11-2014, 08:26 AM
Anybody try anything like that?? Thinking I might try and see if it would work? Brass would be 38/357 or 256 Winchester. Open up a .223 bolt head and surface cut to get the proper depth so the extractor would pick up the "rimmed case". Will be a rimmed 20 VT (short) necked down to 17. Already got the VT "short" by pushing the shoulder back .200 on a rimmless case. Just thinking of a "rimmed" version.
Inital plan/thoughts were to go Martini action/rifle for the rimmed case. Model 25 Savage uses a rimmed case for the Hornets. Never seen one but the extractor must be in the boltbhead?
Real curious to see if it would work on a Model 10 action. Could even go with a 44 Special or Mag case and build from there for a bigger Wildcat. Now I'am on the hunt for a couple of .223 bolt heads to work with.

BillPa
07-11-2014, 01:26 PM
The depth of the bolt face won't matter unless you short chamber the barrel so the rim sticks out past the tenon about .125" or so. Now if you "cone" or bevel the tenon 22RF style the rim will over hang hhe tenon so the extractor can jump and engage it.

There is or was a guy on Benchrest Central shooting a 30-30 BR gun and posted some pictures how he accomplished it. IIRC his topic was "How I make a 30-30 shoot" or something of that nature.

I did a quick search, his name is Mike Turner

Bill

Con
07-11-2014, 04:19 PM
It's interesting that he's head-spaced the 30/30 by a means that looks identical to how Browning does it with their A-Bolt 22Hornet, use of a ring around the chamber entrance on which the rim sits. Article is here:
http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?54959-How-I-make-the-30-30-Agg
Cheers...
Con

Nor Cal Mikie
07-11-2014, 05:59 PM
Looks like I need to check out the Model 25 bolt head and chamber to see how it's set up. That way I'll have an idea if my idea might work.