PDA

View Full Version : Sear doesn't reset.

Willy Pete
07-10-2014, 12:24 AM
The sear in one of my Model 10s isn't resetting after cycling the bolt. Consequently, the bolt release (top bolt release, not trigger guard) isn't catching and the bolt will come sliding right out of the action. Is the sear spring weak and need replacing? I've run other bolts through the rifle and experience the same problem, so it is definitely in the trigger group.

short round
07-10-2014, 01:20 AM
Check the sear spring, doubt if it is weak, it may need bent to put more pressure on sear. Sear or spring may be rubbing stock. If trigger has adjustment for over travel, it may need backed off and adjusted, not enough over travel sear will drag on trigger, causing sear to not return.

landphil
07-10-2014, 01:25 AM
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?36574-110E-Series-K-trigger-will-not-reset

Read though this thread including the link for trigger adjustment, you answer will probably lie there somewhere. Remove the stock and things should be fairly self-explanatory as to what's causing the sear (and bolt release lever - its all one and the same) to not return.

limige
07-10-2014, 01:51 AM
Sounds like some stocks are hitting the trigger causing them to hang up and not rebound. Pull it out and see if the stock is hitting or if the spring broke

cranebird
07-10-2014, 05:42 AM
going to say the middle screw needs to be backed off 1/8 of a turn.It limits your over travel, too tight of a setting doesn't allow it to cock or worse yet it will fire as the handle is closing into position. If not that then I would say your trigger spring is too weak which isn't normal unless you've done the g2 ink pen mod which I had over time weaken and do the same thing yours is doing but at a sporadic cadence.

Willy Pete
07-10-2014, 10:22 AM
I backed the trigger return spring off about an eighth of a turn and that did the trick. When the problem first reared its ugly head I could see that there was tension between the sear and accu-release lever and stoned them both a bit to remove any source of friction. I may polish a little more in order to lighten the trigger as much as possible.

limige
07-12-2014, 06:43 PM
Ah you failed to mention you messed with the trigger

Willy Pete
07-12-2014, 07:21 PM
Ah you failed to mention you messed with the trigger

Well, yeah. Buy gun, run a couple of hundred through it, mess with trigger. Isn't that what you're supposed to do?

Honestly, I'd lightened the accu-trigger quite sometime ago, and it would only very occasionally fail to reset. It seems to have gotten significantly worse over time. Much better now. I'm a fool for a light trigger.

limige
07-12-2014, 08:00 PM
Ahh its an accutrigger as well....
im new to the accutrigger. If I have issues with it ill drop in a basix 2. Thats what I have on the last one I bought and it is sweet. My accutrigger I bought the 1.5# spring for and im trying that out.

How long have you been using it before it needed adjusting?