PDA

View Full Version : Resizing Problems

ourway77
03-30-2010, 10:17 AM
I have an Encore 6BR 1-14 twist w/OTT barrel 16.25" SS and I have been shooting Lapua brass, Well I got a Savage 6BR 1-12 twist right bolt left load and eject. It is real tackdriver. After scoping it and going to the range brand new lapua brass worked in the rifle fine, loading and ejected fine. I had some extra brass I have shot in my pistol. So I loaded a box of them up to shoot in my rifle, would not chamber at all. Brought them home pulled the bullets Again I FL resized them still wouldn't chamber, so I again FL resized them with a 6BR SB dies, still won't chamber. I tried setting the die to touch the shell holder still no luck. At this pont I took the new brass that I hd shot and resized and put them into the rifle and they loaded fine. I have never experienced this before and have loaded ammo for 35-40 years or more Has anyone had a simular experience. I guess the only solution is keep the brass seperated? Both the Encore and the Savage are quality firearms. Thanks Lou

tdnichols
03-30-2010, 10:20 AM
I had that problem from some once fired I bought but after fl sizing ; like you did everything ok. seems like the longer you reload the more you find out you don't know or new problems to solve. What about the bullet or OAL of loaded round

82boy
03-30-2010, 10:45 AM
Sounds like the case head has expanded, as the brass formed in the chamber to that pistol. Moral of the story don't mix brass.

RWO
03-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Check the shell heads for out of square. The Encore bolt face might allow the shell head to expand at a slight angle, leaving the base out of square with the bore. FL resizing won't correct the problem. If your Savage has a shorter chamber than the Encore, then the out of square head could prevent chambering in the Savage.

RWO

03-30-2010, 03:02 PM
I have the same problem with brass I shot through my Encore Pro Hunter 7mm. I have tried running it through 3 different dies to fit in my Savage 112, but no luck!

EFBell
03-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Sounds like the case head has expanded, as the brass formed in the chamber to that pistol. Moral of the story don't mix brass.

Plus 1

Slowpoke Slim
03-30-2010, 04:27 PM
I think you just need to set your shoulders back on the brass that was fired in the Encore. You may need to "cam over" your press to do it. Take your FL die, turn it all the way down until it's hitting the shell holder, then turn it an additional 1/4 turn. When you size your brass, you'll feel your press linkage "cam over", and that should take care of it. To keep from having this issue, you may well need separate brass. The brass with the shoulders bumped back will have to "jump up" to fill the chamber of the Encore again if you go back and fire it in that chamber.

Separate brass for separate rifles.

EFBell
03-30-2010, 04:43 PM
if it's hard to extract after "trying" one its most likely the case head and not the shoulder. If it goes in and gets tight but no problem extracting it could very well be the shoulder needs a bump

Slowpoke Slim
03-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Dunno Ed,

He said he's already tried a small base die. If that doesn't fix a case head being too large, I don't know what would?

Blue Avenger
03-30-2010, 09:13 PM
get your caliper out and start measuring heads, necks, ect... you never said, your old brass the same brand?

hold a piece over a candle and get soot on it, then see where it rubbs off when you chamber it.

steveinwv
03-30-2010, 09:53 PM
My Encore Pro Hunter .243 has a ridiculously oversized and off center chamber. You literally have to spin the fired case 180 degrees to get it out of the gun. No amount of resizing with normal dies would put these cases in my .243 Etronx.

Buy new brass for the Savage.

Rooster 50
03-31-2010, 07:40 PM
I am running into the same thing. I had 50 Lapua brass that I shot in an aftermarket barrel on a T/C prohunter. I can't seem to size it enuf to get it to chamber easily. There are 10 that were never fired in the T/C with a normal FL size in the body die they chamber easily. The ones from the t/C needed to be sized with a shell holder I ground a few yrs ago for just this scenario. Then I had to screw the die down so it cammed over pretty hard. I finally got them to chamber with just a little resistance.

Edd Panzella
03-31-2010, 08:54 PM
My Encore Pro Hunter .243 has a ridiculously oversized and off center chamber. You literally have to spin the fired case 180 degrees to get it out of the gun. No amount of resizing with normal dies would put these cases in my .243 Etronx.

Buy new brass for the Savage.

I just had the same problem with my 30-06 Encore. The chamber was like a bannana and was .007 out of round. Sent it back to TC and they sent it back with a note that it was maximum SAAMI spec but OK. What crap! The brass had a thin spot on one side (inside) and the case head was cocked. Would not chamber in my Savage '06 despite FL sizing. Called and emailed TC for two months before giving up. Never got to talk to anybody except a girl that said someone would call me back. So done with TC.

Quickshot
03-31-2010, 10:43 PM
Listen to 82boy. I have 3 .223s, 2 Savage & 1 Ruger #1. Learned a long time ago to keep each set of brass separated. Even the Savages ,both Mod.12 can not be mixed, especially when neck sizing. Just one of those little inconveniences that keeps you on your toes in this game. Quick

schemi
04-03-2010, 12:07 PM
You can get headspace shims for your encore from Mike Bellm. You can take once fired brass from your savage and reset the headspace on your encore if that is the problem. You can also get barrels made to fit a dummy round from Match Grade Machine.