PDA

View Full Version : Best action for varmint build

colt56
07-08-2014, 09:57 PM
I am getting 50% off a savage rifle so I am using the opportunity to procure an action for a 6mm varmint rifle build. Which factory rifle would be best to tear apart for my 243 AI or 6mm AI build. I assume the lrp would be best but would love input. Thanks. I really don't mind single shot if there is an accuracy advantage. Any input would be appreciated.

foxx
07-08-2014, 10:38 PM
If I had 50% 0ff I'd maybe get the 10 or 110 BA . It MSRP is like $2500. First try to find a buyer at $2000... Sell it and a profit of about $800 profit towards something else like the 12 bench rest # 18614. It is 6 BR. Keep in mind there are 3 versions of the accutrigger... Regular, Varmint and Target. Might sell off the stock and get something else.

Or get 12lrp #19136 in .243 rechamber for 6br

or 12 LRPV #18671 in 6BR

or...

bootsmcguire
07-09-2014, 01:14 AM
Foxx has a great point. At 50% off a 10 or 110BA would be the ticket and then resell, or if you got the 10BA in 308 you could swap out the barrel for the 243AI or 6Rem-AI that you are wanting if you like the stock and such, but reselling it at 25% off of sticker would get you plenty of funds to buy a lower factory Varmint rifle like a 12FV in 22-250 and restock it and rebarrel it to the 243AI or the 6Rem-AI, and probably put some decent glass on it.

As to any accuracy advantage with one action vs another: Some claim the PTA actions are more rigid and thus more accurate, but as many have stated here before, if the action is properly bedded, the barrel will have more affect on accuracy than the action. An example, I originally built my 6mm-WSM on a Centerfeed Long action. Later I moved to another action and stock and the action was a single shot short action. It was just as accurate as before, but not noticeably better. I try to do most of my builds on long actions, that way I can rebarrel to just about anything with just a bolt head change, and I have no worries about if it will fit or not.

Sorry for the long post, probably more info than you need/want, but I figured too much is better than not enough. ;)

suberjc
07-09-2014, 01:38 PM
If I had 50% 0ff I'd maybe get the 10 or 110 BA . It MSRP is like $2500. First try to find a buyer at $2000... Sell it and a profit of about $800 profit towards something else like the 12 bench rest # 18614. It is 6 BR. Keep in mind there are 3 versions of the accutrigger... Regular, Varmint and Target. Might sell off the stock and get something else.

Or get 12lrp #19136 in .243 rechamber for 6br

or 12 LRPV #18671 in 6BR

or...

+ 1
6BR Norma. If you are shooting at 600 or under, you will never shoot another cartridge if accuracy is your goal. Any real Savage (not counting Axis) should do. Just get your bolt face trued up cause they tumble em at the factory. Of course the target actions are always your best bet but they all shoot good.

colt56
07-09-2014, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will look into the 6BR Norma. My overall goal with the rifle is to get coyotes and prairie dogs that mock me out past 600. I can do work on them under 600 with my 22-250. I also will look into the 6mm WSM I noticed it mentioned. I was going to go 6mm AI for sure until I couldn't locate brass. Appreciate all the input and love details so you will never overload me with info.

bootsmcguire
07-09-2014, 09:58 PM
The 6-WSM is one wicked beast. I had Jim at Apache Gunworks (http://www.apachegunworks.com) build mine. I am able to launch the 105 Amax at 3650 without destroying brass using H1000. I am testing some RL25 and have some US869 to try also. I think 3800fps will be attainable. Check the ballistics out on that. WOW! Only downside is barrel life will probably be short before I'll have to send her to Jim and have it set back, but man what a ride. Spacing your shots will help.

If you want a 6mm with some zip that may be a bit easier on barrels, and cheap on brass, a 6-06AI or straight 6-06 would be the ticket. Just run 25-6 brass through a 6-06 FL die and presto. Then load and shoot. I am working with a 6-06 right now, but I bought the barrel used from a member here while I was waiting for my 6-WSM barrel to come and so I have not worked up much with it but it shows some real promise and good speeds.

FWIW I believe I am the only member here currently that has a 6-WSM, so if it is of real interest to you feel free to PM me or give Jim a call. I am sure he'll be glad to talk to you, just tell him Boots sent ya! ;)