PDA

View Full Version : Another Hog Hunter Thread

Dbud76
07-07-2014, 05:27 PM
First I'd like to say that I am brand new here and what I have read had been very interesting. You guys seem to know what you are talking about and enjoy talking about it.
I am buying a HH on .308 and am looking at aftermarket stock options. I have been looking at Boyd's and have a couple of questions for you.
1.When entering the info for the search it asks about the feed. I am under the impression that this is a bling mag center feed and want to make sure that I am correct. It says at the bottom of the stock page that some models may require the staggered feed option. Also, I thought that the HH was a top bolt release but I saw somewhere that is is a side release and that is not an option that I see in the Boyd's menu. If it is a side release will the top release option on the stock work?
2. Don't the Tacticool and thumbhole stocks have to be bedded? I have never done any gunsmithing so this is why I ask. Also how well do the stocks fit? Is much fitting required?
3. Has anyone on here used Warne extra high or ultra high rings to try to keep the iron sights on. I know that will put the scope high but I am willing to deal with that.
I think that for now this is all that I can think of. Thanks for any help that you guys can give me.

clintsrv
07-07-2014, 05:40 PM
The HH is centerfeed top/side bolt release. If you go after a Boyds stock that is designed for a factory contour barrel you will have to open it up a little as the HH barrel is a medium heavy contour. If you get the Tacticool or thumbhole Varmints the channel will be large enough for the barrel with no work.

I don't think you would need high or extra high rings to clear the sights on the barrel. It will depend on what scope is used for sure (length), but mediums would likely work. However the rear sight is easily removed with a flathead screw driver if need be. Hope this helps a little.

charlesncharge
07-07-2014, 11:40 PM
My trigger guard didn't fit very well but the website said it was made for the metal trigger guard. A lil work and it will fit jus fine. Had mine bedded but haven't got to shoot it much.