View Full Version : New to Reloading. About to "Pull the Trigger"

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Ackevor
07-09-2014, 11:59 AM
My first press about 6 years ago was the Lee 4 Hole turret press. Got it in a kit with dies, powder drop etc etc. At first I really liked the auto index feature, especially for 223 and pistol ammo. When I began reloading 30-06 I had to remove the auto index rod (one single philips screw) to get clearance and manually index.

Whats great about a turret, as stated previously, is you can have 4 dies set up at once and still use it as a single stage if you choose. I chose Lee because of cost, I was poor and loved to shoot but could barely afford even the lee equipment. Looking back I am glad I did, its not the most sophisticated equipment, but it is intelligently engineered so it can be very cost effective. Other than the case feeder on the Load master loading 223 I have had zero issues with any of my Lee presses, Load Master, Breech Lock single state or my 4 hole turret.

Turret press is a great start, begin slow as a single stage and then you can begin to add features like the auto index when you are comfortable and want to increase capacity. you can buy an auto shell ejector for the Lee index rod too so you only touch the case once to put it on. I have one, but since I have bought the load master I rarely use it.

n4ue
07-09-2014, 12:37 PM
One last point that I have learned from reloading 38 different ctg.......I ALWAYS use a Lee hand priming tool for seating primers. I took the priming arm off the Rock Chucker 40 years ago. When I use the Dillon 650, I don't use the Dillon mechanism, I have the brass preprimed.
Why? I found some real loose primer pockets in the past with the hand tool. On a press, you just don't have any 'feel' how the primer is seating.
You can watch tv and prime 500 to 1000 cases before you know it...... Some of the best $ I have spent in this hobby....

ron

fgw_in_fla
07-09-2014, 12:51 PM
One last point that I have learned from reloading 38 different ctg.......I ALWAYS use a Lee hand priming tool for seating primers. I took the priming arm off the Rock Chucker 40 years ago. When I use the Dillon 650, I don't use the Dillon mechanism, I have the brass preprimed.
Why? I found some real loose primer pockets in the past with the hand tool. On a press, you just don't have any 'feel' how the primer is seating.
You can watch tv and prime 500 to 1000 cases before you know it...... Some of the best $ I have spent in this hobby....

ron

I hear a lotta guys say they like the hand job primer thing. I got used to priming on the press with the gizmo that hangs off the side of the ram (Lee Classic). It works great and I can feel how they seat. The only problem with them is they're easy to lose or misplace since they don't sit in the press ram all the time.

I keep an extra set around anyway for just such an emergency. Just in case. Most of you probably know as long as you have an extra, you'll never lose the original.

Ackevor
07-09-2014, 01:47 PM
I keep an extra set around anyway for just such an emergency. Just in case. Most of you probably know as long as you have an extra, you'll never lose the original.

HAHA, its so true. I have two sets myself and so far havn't even come close to losing either primer arm. I do have the lee hand prime tool, It was nice to sit with the Fam and watch Tv while priming all my 30-06 cases. I'll try it this week with about 500 or so 223 and see how it goes.

fgw_in_fla
07-09-2014, 01:56 PM
After you reach a certain age and after you've been married a few times and the kids are grown, you look forward to being at the opposite end of the house from the 'lil woman. Especially after she reaches a certain point in her hormonal cycle.
The door on my reload room locks from the inside, too.

emtrescue6
07-09-2014, 02:34 PM
After you reach a certain age and after you've been married a few times and the kids are grown, you look forward to being at the opposite end of the house from the 'lil woman. Especially after she reaches a certain point in her hormonal cycle.

Hell, I've only been married a lil over 10 years...my reloading room is located in the barn, about 100 yards from the house...the barn and the reloading room both lock from the inside ;) ...and of course, no phones allowed in the room, gotta remove all distractions ya know ;)

fgw_in_fla
07-09-2014, 02:52 PM
Hell, I've only been married a lil over 10 years...my reloading room is located in the barn, about 100 yards from the house...the barn and the reloading room both lock from the inside ;) ...and of course, no phones allowed in the room, gotta remove all distractions ya know ;)

I wouldn't recommend divorce as a way to "remove a distraction" unless you have either a real good lawyer or a less than intelligent 'ol lady.

I got lucky a few times. Mostly using the less than intelligent 'ol lady method. My current 'ol lady is a different story. Florida redneck gals are pretty tough. Considering she worked on a dairy farm most of her early years, I'm concerned I'll end up wearing my ass for a hat.

eddiesindian
07-09-2014, 02:56 PM

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>>>>OLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Aint that the truth.
Ive already had a "come to Jesus meeting" with the miss,s about not bothering/looking/talking/venting/snipping/comming near me when Im reloading.

rjtfroggy
07-09-2014, 03:45 PM
My room is in the basement no locks just lite my CIGAR while getting set up let burn a little in the ash tray, no one enters the room. Works every time.

emtrescue6
07-09-2014, 06:02 PM
I wouldn't recommend divorce as a way to "remove a distraction" unless you have either a real good lawyer or a less than intelligent 'ol lady.

I got lucky a few times. Mostly using the less than intelligent 'ol lady method. My current 'ol lady is a different story. Florida redneck gals are pretty tough. Considering she worked on a dairy farm most of her early years, I'm concerned I'll end up wearing my ass for a hat.

I can't afford a good lawyer....thankfully the lil misses is pretty patient (and she shoots with me from time to time) so she's pretty darn good.

fgw_in_fla
07-09-2014, 06:22 PM
Be careful of the ones that "shoot with you" - they may be practicing for another time.

When we go on our swamp hikes we each carry an AK47. I always make my 'ol lady take point.

Always.

sc1911cwp
07-09-2014, 08:11 PM
Whatever you decide, be safe, have fun and enjoy.

fgw_in_fla
07-09-2014, 08:23 PM
Whatever you decide, be safe, have fun and enjoy.

Sound advice.

Balljoint
07-09-2014, 09:49 PM
If you go with the RCBS RockChucker Hornady makes a kit too use this kit for fast die changes #044099 RCBS Rock conversion kit, and 044093 die bushing kit am doing this on my press to load 300 BLK before i start using my Dillion 550B press

scooterf79
07-10-2014, 02:45 AM
I must be doin something wrong,(eerrrr right I mean) my wife tells me to go down to the reloading room. 😉
Sound advice from everybody here, Ive got a SS that Ive had for 15+ yrs and it still loads great rounds! Thinking about a progressive, only because of AR and pistols. Starting on SS is the way to go
Scooter

thermaler
07-10-2014, 07:22 AM
Be careful of the ones that "shoot with you" - they may be practicing for another time.

When we go on our swamp hikes we each carry an AK47. I always make my 'ol lady take point.

Always.But only she knows where she planted the Claymores.

emtrescue6
07-10-2014, 10:36 AM

Always.

Have you put the firing pin back in yet?

fgw_in_fla
07-10-2014, 10:53 AM
Have you put the firing pin back in yet?

She would pick up on that right away. She hasn't figured out that I make ammo for her gun with spent primers.

emtrescue6
07-10-2014, 10:55 AM
She would pick up on that right away. She hasn't figured out that I make ammo for her gun with spent primers.

OH MY......hahahahahaha! Now I have reason to keep all those spent primers I use to just toss.... thanks Frank! ;)

BubbaLa
07-15-2014, 12:04 AM
My first press about 6 years ago was the Lee 4 Hole turret press. Got it in a kit with dies, powder drop etc etc. At first I really liked the auto index feature, especially for 223 and pistol ammo. When I began reloading 30-06 I had to remove the auto index rod (one single philips screw) to get clearance and manually index.

Whats great about a turret, as stated previously, is you can have 4 dies set up at once and still use it as a single stage if you choose. I chose Lee because of cost, I was poor and loved to shoot but could barely afford even the lee equipment. Looking back I am glad I did, its not the most sophisticated equipment, but it is intelligently engineered so it can be very cost effective. Other than the case feeder on the Load master loading 223 I have had zero issues with any of my Lee presses, Load Master, Breech Lock single state or my 4 hole turret.

Turret press is a great start, begin slow as a single stage and then you can begin to add features like the auto index when you are comfortable and want to increase capacity. you can buy an auto shell ejector for the Lee index rod too so you only touch the case once to put it on. I have one, but since I have bought the load master I rarely use it.

4 hole lee turret and for $26 get the safety prime set up