PDA

View Full Version : .222 Rem for model 16?

Salvo
07-05-2014, 10:52 PM
I am hoping to find a ss barrel for my model 16 in .222 Remington, magnum contour 24".

Am I likely to find anything like this? I guess a .223 would be OK, but I'd really rather have .222.

Have all the stuff for barrel-swap, just need the barrel, bolt head and a single-shot magazine insert. Magazine is for .243 Win.

bootsmcguire
07-06-2014, 02:50 AM
You can always have one made. Give Jim at www.apachegunworks.com (http://www.apachegunworks.com) a call/email or give Jim Briggs at NSS a call. Both are sponsors here and both are great guys to deal with. FWIW Jim at Apache Gunworks has built my last 4 barrels.

If you have a centerfeed style magazine the only place I know of for a follower insert is SSS ( Sharp Shooter Supply ). If you have a Staggerfeed style mag then you need a Hi-Score follower, and Midway or Brownells normally stock them. You should need the Medium one for the 22-250 thru 308 class magazines.

Salvo
07-10-2014, 07:03 PM
Jim said it will be no problem, but he will have to rent or buy the reamer.

When I get it put together and broken in a bit, I'll report with pictures etc.. It'll be a few months from now I would suppose, I won't be able to order the barrel until early August.

It (the rifle) will weigh just over 10 pounds, should be lots of fun at the range.

bootsmcguire
07-11-2014, 01:34 AM
Jim does great work, you'll be happy when you get it.

I hear Jim is starting to get too many orders and has suspended taking any more for a month or so. It'll be worth the wait. I guess I better slow down on recommending him so much so he can get caught up. LOL.

Salvo
07-11-2014, 02:35 PM
No rush here. I'm still developing loads for a 7mm-08 barrel that is currently on the rifle. Also, I have a custom 98 Mauser project that needs to be wrapped up, I've been at it for two years.

Savage6x284
07-13-2014, 02:49 PM
Love the Triple Deuce! I have a very nice LH Kimber of Oregon M84 HB in that chambering.
The .222 was accurate from it's inception even with the mediocre components they had then.
A quick and dirty solution would be to find a .223 barrel in the twist and contour you want and have it rechambered.
Super simple job for any machinist to face the end of the barrel .200". Rent a reamer and run it in by hand.
You'll be pleased with the barrel from Jim but a used .223 barrel can be quick and cheap.

Given any thought to the .222 Remington Magnum? Never had one but another of my LH KoO's is chambered in 6x47 which is just the .222 RM necked up to 6mm.
Remington makes brass for the .222 RM once a year but the tooling is nice so the brass is really very good. Not sure about .222 brass but suspect the same.

Salvo
07-13-2014, 05:58 PM
The .222 seems best for my intended application. - I'll be using the rifle as a range gun at 100 yards for informal target shooting. The .222 doesn't use much powder, the cases and barrels last a long time, and in a pinch I can make cases from once-fired .223 brass that is always laying around at the gun club.

.22 Hornet cases are too flimsy, and I do not hear about stellar accuracy from the 5.7x28. The neck is awfully short there. I considered .221 fireball, but decided to go with .222 Remington as I have a hundred rounds of .222 Rem factory ammo left over from a CZ 527 in .222 Rem that I briefly owned a few years ago, plus twenty rounds of once-fired brass.

There is also some historical and traditional satisfaction associated with shooting and loading the .222 Remington... I'm just sappy enough for that to influence my thinking.

My mill and lathe are in storage as I am in a new location and haven't built my shop yet, I'll have to depend on other people's work until I can get my ducks (bucks) lined up for a new building here.

Savage6x284
07-14-2014, 06:49 AM
There will never be any flies on the great .222 Rem!
Your point about making brass from the ubiquitous .223 is a good one too.

I'm putting together my machine shop right now as well but that's another story.