PDA

View Full Version : My Savage 12 ftr. Setting up!

SteelerNation
07-05-2014, 08:16 AM
It's me again! Yes. I have some other questions!

Just to let you all know, I am searching for answers for my questions before I post here, so as to not take up anyone's time unnecessarily.

I did successfully find the correct EGW scope mount from a large vendor that I can put a scope on. That should be coming next week. I am saving for a good piece of glass (US Optics, Nightforce, Schmidt & Bender, etc.), but until I do I'm going to use my 6-18X40 Luepold in the meantime.

Heres where I got lost. The Savage 12 FTR has an Anschutz rail. The rifle came with a Bipod adapter specifically engineered for. Harris bipods. Great. I have a. Harris that I can use. However, I cannot see how this adaptor mounts! Do I have to take the Anschutz rail off? It will not slide in from the front of the rail because the rail is tapered down in the front apparently to keep the adaptor from sliding off the front of the rail.

So, do I unscrew the rail and slide it in from the rear, then screw the rail back down? The other strange thing is that the adapter is a single piece of steel that has no type of screws to actually hold it to the rail! Very weird! I've looked up other adapters and they hall have one or two screws on the base so you can secure it to the rail to prevent movement.

Im just frustrated that the manual says NOTHING about it, let alone directions! I looked everywhere online and can't find a solution.

what do I do guys? Unscrew the rail and slide it in from the rails rear? But then how will it stayed secure? Any help, as always, is appreciated!

SteelerNation
07-05-2014, 08:31 AM
http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag419/mpcst200/a30097e459e6fcb31d136ee48808b10a_zps07ffc251.jpg

here is is a photo of the adapter...

SteelerNation
07-05-2014, 08:34 AM
http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag419/mpcst200/2ad2b11f3f1d8f54dabbdceb2bd25c6f_zps848e676b.jpg

And the rail......

JW
07-05-2014, 08:39 AM
my ftr stock rail allows the adapter to be slid in from the end of the forarm
if yours is tapered where it will not go in then I would take the rail out and put it in from the other end
the adapter is held in place by the attached bipod when it is secured to the rifle
I took my adapter and drilled and tapped it for set screws then I could take the bipod off and the adapter would stay in place

I later took the adapter off because I shoot from a rest most of the time

I hope this helps
Jack

JW
07-05-2014, 08:42 AM
you must have been posting pics as I was typing
If it was me, I would file the front of the rail to get the adapter to go through, it looks like it could be burred from the taper that was put on the end
Another thing I just thought of:
If you have calipers, measure the width of the slot and the width of the adapter to be sure the will fit
I seem to remember filing one of my adaptors a little on the sides before it would go in the rail

By the way, the rail is just like mine
Jack

SteelerNation
07-05-2014, 08:44 AM
my ftr stock rail allows the adapter to be slid in from the end of the forarm
if yours is tapered where it will not go in then I would take the rail out and put it in from the other end
the adapter is held in place by the attached bipod when it is secured to the rifle
I took my adapter and drilled and tapped it for set screws then I could take the bipod off and the adapter would stay in place

I later took the adapter off because I shoot from a rest most of the time

I hope this helps
Jack
Helps a lot actually. So, you were probably asking the same thing when you decided to drill it for set screws. It just looks like it will be able to move....a couple screws should do the trick to set it firmly to the rail.

im glad you understood. Explaining this stuff to ask a question without knowing all the proper terminology is tough. That's why I attached the photos...

SteelerNation
07-05-2014, 08:45 AM
you must have been posting pics as I was typing
If it was me, I would file the front of the rail to get the adapter to go through, it looks like it bould be burred from the taper that was put on the end

By the way, the rail is just like mine
Jack
And I was posting the last one when you posted this...lol. Thanks buddy

JW
07-05-2014, 08:53 AM
Steel
I added some to my last post give it another read
The more I think about it, my adapter was the problem being to wide by a couple of thousands of an inch
I would check yours
If you plan on shooting with the bipod, it will hold the adapter in place when tightened down and you can leave it attached to the bipod when removing it
just loosen the bipod a little and slide bipod and adapter out of slot

Jack

SteelerNation
07-05-2014, 09:07 AM
Steel
I added some to my last post give it another read
The more I think about it, my adapter was the problem being to wide by a couple of thousands of an inch
I would check yours
If you plan on shooting with the bipod, it will hold the adapter in place when tightened down and you can leave it attached to the bipod when removing it
just loosen the bipod a little and slide bipod and adapter out of slot

Jack
Thanks Jack! That makes sense to me. I'm going to set it up this afternoon and see how it works. I can always go with a different adapter if it seems loose.

SteelerNation
07-10-2014, 11:12 AM
Got the rail. Got the scope coming in. Now need a better cheek rest....this baby is gonna be ready to shoot soon!

I guess if I buy a new saddle cheek rest made of Kydex, I'll have to drill the stock?

Burdy
07-15-2014, 10:23 PM
I have this same stock and what I have been looking for is some way to attach a small piece of pic rail to the bottom instead. I have the Sierra 7 bipod and just want to be able to quickly attach and detach it.

Burdy
10-01-2015, 11:06 PM
Just as a follow up, this worked perfectly:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/533041/versa-pod-uit-adapter-anschutz-rail-to-mil-std-1913-picatinny-rail-aluminum-black

Fotheringill
10-02-2015, 10:35 AM
BTW-

For those of you who want to go the other way with a benchrest adapter for the bottom rail, get in touch with MWerks.com Jeff Madison is a great guy to deal with and will custom make an aluminum plate to attach to the bottom to simulate a wide benchrest stock forearm. Cost is literally a few bucks more than the universal models sold by Brownell's, etc.

Burdy
10-02-2015, 10:38 AM
I should also note that the one sold by Atlas for the anschutz rail did NOT work on my FT/R.