PDA

View Full Version : A bird in the hand.....

BillPa
07-04-2014, 04:45 PM
... is kinda strange especially when its a live humming bird.

http://i58.tinypic.com/347k6kz.jpg

My son was doing some work at a friend's camp and this little fellow was looking for a way out of the screened in room. He must have been tired, when my son held out his hand it landed in it. He snapped this pic, carried it outside and after about a minute it flew away.

Bill

yobuck
07-04-2014, 05:18 PM
Needed a shot of jet fuel. Those things are amazing to me. I keep a couple feeders at the camp and have spent hours watching them.
They fly up to the feeder, then fly backwards a few feet then foward again. refueling on the fly.

Balljoint
07-04-2014, 07:06 PM
Have had the same at out summer place only the BEARS chase away the Humming Birds for the necture, BUT i hang the feeder just out of the reach of only the biggest bear.

JCalhoun
07-05-2014, 08:58 AM
I planted coral honeysuckle vines for them. I get more hummers at my front porch than I ever did around the feeders and they look a lot better too.

yobuck
07-05-2014, 05:42 PM
Have had the same at out summer place only the BEARS chase away the Humming Birds for the necture, BUT i hang the feeder just out of the reach of only the biggest bear.

Philly, the place of my birth and the city of (AHEM) brotherly love. Wheres Rizzo whens we needs him da most?
Sounds like a bear story to me. Where you seein all them bears?

BillPa
07-05-2014, 10:17 PM
Where you seein all them bears?

This one was behind the camp two weeks ago, a little feller, about 200-250.
http://i61.tinypic.com/2005u8l.jpg

IIRC the biggest one shot in that general area last season was 489# dressed. The biggest in the state was an estimated 772!

Bill

yobuck
07-06-2014, 12:53 PM
Im assuming your referring to a zone and im not in tune with those descriptions.
Most people tend to over estimate the weight of bears. Id agree with your assesment of that one.
The one PA bear ive killed weighed 238 lb dressed when weighed at the check station. He's fully mounted
and would appear similar in size to the one pictured.

NLPeaden
07-25-2014, 11:09 PM
Really amazing to hold a live hummingbird. I really like to see them on their multi-thousand mile journey every year. Make sure to remove your feeders every year before it gets cold so they don't forget to move on!

Have never seen a bear. Have heard what I thought was a black bear... walks through the woods like a human on a hike... never minds breaking branches or twigs underfoot and keeps its pace. Have seen where one goes 10 rows in on a corn field to grab the perfect stalk of corn from the ground and break as many stalks in a new direction out of the corn field!

foxx
07-26-2014, 12:33 AM
That's really cool, Bill.

Kinda awe-inspiring, really. With any luck he will remember the feeling of that simple moment the rest of his life.

BillPa
07-26-2014, 03:14 AM
That's really cool, Bill.

Kinda awe-inspiring, really. With any luck he will remember the feeling of that simple moment the rest of his life.

Foxy, he also snapped a picture of two turtles. I'll send it to you, I'm not sure it fit for public viewing!:p

Bill

foxx
07-26-2014, 10:31 AM
Got it, Bill.

Now THAT's awe-inspiring! LOL

Balljoint
07-26-2014, 11:47 AM
Here is a bear story for everyone, when Gary Alt was in charge of the bear program for the PA Game com. he was working on his Doctorate and in his Dissertation said that bears in Pa were in some areas were reaching 800 lbs well some other game mangers from the south challenged him to prove it.
So he invited them to come on up and see when they all got together Gary took them around and showed them several large 700 lbs plus bears he had radio collars on then he took them to SGL 127 for lunch and started to make PB&J sandwiches when a very large bear came out of the woods when it was darted and weighted in at 800 plus lbs.

BillPa
07-26-2014, 05:36 PM
Balljoint, I don't know if you attended one of his presentations on the black bear, but after the one I was at he was asked if you could tell they're size by a footprint. He said sure then when on to give some numbers. I forget exactly what he said something like a 2" wide print would be cub 35-50 pounds, 3", 100# and etc.

The place howled when he said if you find one 7" across......."GO HOME" !:p

Bill

Balljoint
07-26-2014, 09:38 PM
Yes i have, the one i saw he showed a sow with three cubs in a den on his farm at Moscow Pa. had the den rigged up so he could take blood samples to send to NASA to be tested too see what happens to the blood when in hibernation.
Had slides of the cubs from just born till one year old, 6oz too 150 lbs.