PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to sight it in

sc1911cwp
07-04-2014, 02:20 PM
What I just did for a new to me Savage Palma in 308.

- I cleaned the barrel.
- I undid the bolts holding the action to the stock and removed the action. I wanted to check to see if there was anything I should know about, contact on things where there should be none, debris, ect. Then I torqued the action into the stock to factory specs.
- Checked the rail against the barrel and saw it was uneven. So I bedded the rear of the rail with JP weld. Afterwards checked mounting and attached rail to action with properly set torque of screws.
- Placed my rings onto the rail, pushed forward and checked alignment. Cleaned, degreased and torqued lower rings to rail.
- Checked level of rifle and aligned scope into rings. Checked for proper eye relief, set top of rings onto lower and snugged them up little.
- Checked reticle against plumb bob 50 yards away to confirm true vertical. Torqued top of rings.
- Took out bolt, disassembled it, polished where needed to make it a little smoother, lubed and reassembled.
- Checked bolt for proper function.
- Tonight I will bore sight it.

Hope I didn't miss anything.

big honkin jeep
07-04-2014, 04:15 PM
I think if you can visually see the rail is uneven, then you might want to try a different rail.
Sounds like you either have the wrong part or a defective one.
I dont think a retailer will take it back with epoxy on it.

Rosco
07-04-2014, 05:11 PM
When you torqued your screws did you do so manufactuers specs? Also did you check the horizontal level as well?

sc1911cwp
07-05-2014, 06:44 AM
Thank you both for the replies.

First, I really couldn't see any gap from the rail. What I did was separately put in both screws onto either end of the rail and very gently tapped. One side was firm, however the other I felt a very little tap. So I bedded that end only. I did a lot of internet searches on forums before doing so and found this this is not unusual and a common practice. So I felt good doing it and it wasn't hard to do. There are little variations in all things mass produced.

Second, I had a bipod mounted onto the rifle and the top of the rear ring has a level on it. So I know it was level at the beginning. I checked this about a dozen times before torquing the rings to manufactures specs. All done in inch pounds.