PDA

View Full Version : New rifle concern. The 12 F/TR

SteelerNation
07-04-2014, 11:22 AM
Hi again guys.

so after making the post about how to clean my new rifle, I went ahead and ran some solvent and patches through it.

I took the bolt out and inspected it. The bolt face has a nice amount of carbon on it. I had to run several patches through the barrel to get it mostly* clean.

Now I'm wondering if this rifle had been shot way more than I thought and was repackaged and sold as new. Maybe I am paranoid. I know they shoot a few rounds at the factory, but this build up seems a bit....excessive. I ordered it online and had it shipped to me. Without naming the seller, they have an A+ rating with no negative reviews.

The other thing I noticed was the accutrigger seems to be set to its lowest pull weight. I mean....just touching the trigger with a small amount of "pressure" sets it off......strange...I thought that they set it to ca. 4 lb at the factory?

Oh boy...I'm just wondering if I got a factory refurbished/repackaged rifle that was sold as new. There are absolutely no cosmetic flaws on the outside stock, barrel, etc.

What do you guys think? Honestly, the strangest part to me wasn't the carbon I cleaned out, it was that accutrigger pull. Seems suspicious to me...

DanSavage
07-04-2014, 11:32 AM
Did your rifle come with the accu trig adjustment tool?

DanSavage
07-04-2014, 11:35 AM
I'm pretty sure the 12 FTR trigger can go as low as 8 ounce.

SteelerNation
07-04-2014, 11:45 AM
Did your rifle come with the accu trig adjustment tool?

Yea. It came with everything. I'm probably just a bit paranoid since I am so excited over finally getting this rifle after so many hours of research and months of waiting to save money. I would be super ------ if I found out it was refurbished or fired several dozen times and sold to me as new.

i didn't think they set that trigger to 8 oz at the factor....it made me think someone else had done so playing around with it and just repackaged it up and sold it as new. As if there was something wrong with it that made them return it. That's what I'm saying

GaryBF
07-04-2014, 02:59 PM
"Without naming the seller, they have an A+ rating with no negative reviews."
This statement makes it sound like an internet auction deal, in which case all bets are off. But why think the worst without hard evidence? Get it to the range and see how it does.

big honkin jeep
07-04-2014, 04:59 PM
I have bought several brand new rifles with marks/brass transfer on to the bolt face from the factory. The first time I noticed it I went to the gun shop and asked some pretty pointed questions. I'm glad I'm long time friends with the shop owner because he let me look around and I saw that many of the new rifles in the shop had the same thing right from the distributors. Many it seems don't clean the bore after function check either.

boostless
07-04-2014, 05:03 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it won't shoot at all.

SteelerNation
07-05-2014, 07:55 AM
Hi guys:

Yes, it was an auction; however, I emailed the seller yesterday and they got back to me within the hour. They said to not fire it if I suspect anything until they call Savage. After researching yesterday, I looked for brass casing marks...none. The rifle is in perfect condition on the outside so it's likely just a factory testing thing. In addition, everything is a dull stainless steel color so everything shows up X10. I think it's all good, especially considering what you all said above.

Sorry to to post this somewhat silly question, but it had me really concerned, and being as new to rifles​ as I am I figured better ask some experts.

sharpshooter
07-05-2014, 09:59 PM
There is no such thing as a "factory refurbished" rifle coming from Savage.