PDA

View Full Version : best way to remove anti-sieze

Violentstreak
07-04-2014, 09:31 AM
Just swapped my first barrel, thanks to the help of the intarw3bz and NSS. Great way to celebrate the holiday, methinks. Headspace is set, almost ready for the range.

I have learned a lot in this process, one valuable lesson learned is that anti-seize is a f'ing mess. It is EVERYWHERE. Whats the best way to clean this off my action?

BillPa
07-04-2014, 10:16 AM
Carb cleaner or lacquer thinner.

BTW, you don't need to use anti-sieze, a shot of your favorite oil will do just a well without the mess. I use Break-Free only because about dozen bottle of the stuff.

Bill

earl39
07-05-2014, 06:20 PM
Since i live on a farm and have lots of grease of different types around i just use hi-temp grease. Haven't galled the threads on a barrel yet. Never-sieze is a real pain. As Bill said carb cleaner or maybe a good soaking in gas (outside of course) with some hand washing. (I'm Old-School so kids don't try this at home unless you understand how to not singe your eyebrows if you happen to screw up. Also no smoking allowed.)

FW Conch
07-06-2014, 04:59 PM
Nothing wrong with Anti-Seize. You just used too much of it. Just the smallest of dabs on the first two threads is plenty. A drop of oil is also good.

You can clean it up with almost anything. Some of your rifle oil on a rag will do just fine.

I"ll bet you've got it cleaned up already? :-))

darkker
07-06-2014, 05:22 PM
Ed's Red is what I use.

308 Hunter
07-07-2014, 07:52 AM
As some others have said, if Anti-Seize is used, it should be very lightly applied.

Violentstreak
07-09-2014, 03:24 PM
Nothing wrong with Anti-Seize. You just used too much of it. Just the smallest of dabs on the first two threads is plenty. A drop of oil is also good.

You can clean it up with almost anything. Some of your rifle oil on a rag will do just fine.

I"ll bet you've got it cleaned up already? :-))

Nail polish remover and some oil on a rag did the trick.

Violentstreak
07-09-2014, 03:31 PM
Yeah, that lesson could have only been learned the hard way I think, next time I will use a lot less anti-seize.

One thing is for sure, those threads will never, ever seize. I probably used enough for several rifles on the barrel and action threads, oh well. :D