PDA

View Full Version : One of the mysteries of the universe....

yellowhammer1
07-03-2014, 09:45 AM
You know, I see rows of Savage short action centerfeed sporter-contour DBM rifles everywhere I go - gun shops, pawn shops, flea markets, friends houses, at the range, etc. Almost ever person I know that owns one gripes about the tupperware stock and wants to replace it, and generally does not want to go with the Boyds wood versions. With all of those rifles in circulation, and such a need, you would think that some manufacturer would develop a composite stock with the aluminum bedding block for a sporter barrel and keep them in stock.... Like I said - a mystery....

barrel-nut
07-03-2014, 07:52 PM
Here ya go...
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1103338025/bell-and-carlson-medalist-sporter-rifle-stock-savage-110-series-long-action-blind-magazine-synthetic?cm_vc=ProductFinding

yellowhammer1
07-03-2014, 08:33 PM
Here ya go...
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1103338025/bell-and-carlson-medalist-sporter-rifle-stock-savage-110-series-long-action-blind-magazine-synthetic?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Nope. Long action only. B&C does not make a single sporter stock for the short action centerfeed with sporter barrel inletting. Baffling. Thanks for the reply, though.

barrel-nut
07-03-2014, 10:20 PM
Gotcha. I missed the short action part. You are correct, that is truly baffling. Short actions are a very significant part of the market.

Ethan Beurskens
07-04-2014, 08:01 AM
Maybe this is closer to what you're after....dont think it has a bedding block.

https://www.hsprecision.com/shop2/psv102.html

yellowhammer1
07-04-2014, 07:33 PM
Thanks, but those are wide beavertail forend stocks for varmint and bull barrels. I already have one of the long range repeater versions - got from Jim Briggs years ago. HS has no plans to support Savage sporter contour barrels - "ever" - the guy told me.

BillPa
07-04-2014, 08:09 PM
Did you look at MPI stocks? They don't have a block nor do they need one. Even installing pillars is a waste of time. The center section is solid molded from the wrist to the recoil lug and they're as stiff as dried locust fence post.

Give Doc a call, he might be able to fix you up. http://www.mpistocks.com/index.htm

Bill

FW Conch
07-05-2014, 11:05 AM
I think a sporter barrel in a bull barrel channel is a beautiful, beautiful thing! Can probably get 2or3 more shots out of that skinny barrel before the heat starts to have an affect?

Form follows function :-))

JMHO .....Just Sayin :-))

yellowhammer1
07-05-2014, 12:27 PM
I think a sporter barrel in a bull barrel channel is a beautiful, beautiful thing!

got a pic? i googled for images and cant seem to find an example of a skinny sporter barrel mounted to a fat beavertail bull stock. would like to see that!

Savage6x284
07-06-2014, 04:27 AM
Did you look at MPI stocks? They don't have a block nor do they need one. Even installing pillars is a waste of time. The center section is solid molded from the wrist to the recoil lug and they're as stiff as dried locust fence post.

Give Doc a call, he might be able to fix you up. http://www.mpistocks.com/index.htm

Bill

I agree that a well designed stock built with the appropriate top quality materials in no way needs to have an aluminum crutch embedded in it. Also agree with Bill that even pillars are unnecessary in such a stock.
IMO an aluminum bedding block is something put into an inferior synthetic stock to give the ad department something to write about.
The expansion rates are vastly different between aluminum and steel and by necessity the block needs to be milled big to be able to swallow even the rifle built to the very top of the tolerance range.
Marketing fodder and nothing more.
As to a sporter barrel in a bull barrel channel all I can say is that I don't relish dumping 5 pounds of snow, twigs and pine needles out of my barrel channel every time I take it in the woods.
Precise inletting gets you both form AND function.

Top quality doesn't cost.
It pays!

FW Conch
07-06-2014, 08:04 AM
Agreed! If I were going to spend $850 and wait the delivery time,

I would have a whole new range of expectations :-))

yellowhammer1
07-06-2014, 12:06 PM
Did you look at MPI stocks? They don't have a block nor do they need one. Even installing pillars is a waste of time. The center section is solid molded from the wrist to the recoil lug and they're as stiff as dried locust fence post. Give Doc a call, he might be able to fix you up. http://www.mpistocks.com/index.htm

Bill

I just cant justify that kind of moola. I only paid 350 for my HS... How can that MPI be worth 2.5X? Must be one nice jewel-like piece of work... I'd be afraid to scratch it or let it fall over....

Savage6x284
07-06-2014, 12:39 PM
Agreed! If I were going to spend $850 and wait the delivery time,

I would have a whole new range of expectations :-))

Where does the $850 come from? Is that what MPI is getting for their stocks these days?
I much prefer McMillan to MPI and you can get a McMillan EDGE stock for $600 or a regular McM for $500.

yellowhammer1
07-06-2014, 02:20 PM
Where does the $850 come from? Is that what MPI is getting for their stocks these days?
I much prefer McMillan to MPI and you can get a McMillan EDGE stock for $600 or a regular McM for $500.

$850 is what it cost to get a drop-in mpi: http://www.mpistocks.com/completerestocking.htm

Old Medic
01-02-2015, 11:38 AM
You know, I see rows of Savage short action centerfeed sporter-contour DBM rifles everywhere I go - gun shops, pawn shops, flea markets, friends houses, at the range, etc. Almost ever person I know that owns one gripes about the tupperware stock and wants to replace it, and generally does not want to go with the Boyds wood versions. With all of those rifles in circulation, and such a need, you would think that some manufacturer would develop a composite stock with the aluminum bedding block for a sporter barrel and keep them in stock.... Like I said - a mystery....

I just saw this thread. I concur 1,000%. About to build a 6.5 Creedmoor, and I am seriously considering doing it around something other than a Savage. I have had a Savage, in one form or another, for many years but have never really been the gun tinkerer type. I was always satisfied with "Minute Of Deer" accuracy out to about 200 yards here in southwest Mississippi, but recently (about three years ago) began to shoot "long" range for fun. I practice out to 800 here on the farm. I acquired a 112 7mag and a 110 6.5x284, both of which I hand load for. If I were younger and hadn't already spent much of my life putting up with the headaches of running my own business (I sold out in '06) I might find me a young engineer who loves guns and go into the Savage stock makin' biz. Of course, I would definitely build in the business the ability to work enough employees to turn out more than one stock every 4-5 months. I suppose the venture has been kicked around by those in the know. Apparently it's just not worth it. From Savage people you hear, Boyd's, Boyd's, Boyd's, so I ordered one, which I am currently awaiting delivery on. Looking through past threads I am seeing more and more horror stories about cracked stocks and how to "repair" them. I don't purchase a company's product to learn how to repair it. Well, enough of my diatribe. I love Savage rifles but am disappointed with our stock options now that I have the time to tinker with accuracy. I might go Remington on the 6.5 CM.

bootsmcguire
01-02-2015, 02:55 PM
True, but are you wanting to build your 6.5 with a skinny barrel like the OP was wanting? if not then stock options open up a bunch for a heavy barrel. B&C, several options from Stocky's, HS, Houge (and they offer for the skinny barrels as well), McMillian, and all the chassis makers out there are just some that come to mind. I have several B&C stocks and they have treated me well.

As to the Boyds breaking. It is wood, not steel or aluminum. And it is user installed. So many factors come into play with those situations that its easy to blame the stock and not consider all the other factors. Considering how many stocks that Boyds sells, and only the handful of complaint threads that have shown up here so far it is hard for me to say they have a bad product. JMHO.