PDA

View Full Version : so I have this issue.....bad scope possibly?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

FGR1
08-07-2014, 10:11 PM
Bigguy. Im still pondering the data you put up. Drop is fixed but when dealing with line of sight of the scope and the trajectory of the barrel the bullet makes a curve and the scope line of sight is straight. Im beginning to wonder if there may be merit to your comment and you have me curious.

First thought is velocity drop is a fixed constant and it doesnt matter how many clicks up you dial the spread will be the same. But you think of the line of sight intersecting the ballistic curve and you may have brought up something ive heard nothing about so far.
I'm with you on that. At first seems out of whack but when you consider a bullet shot perfectly level will drop at a rate of 9.8m/s/s but if it is fired in an arc it actually rises, requiring it to decelerate to zero vertical velocity before accelerating downward at the same rate. My physics is a little rusty so I won't try it on paper, gonna have to use a long range and a taaaaaaall target haha.

teebirdhyzer
08-09-2014, 10:25 PM
I like the looks of your two groups at 100yds at -70 with 37 and 38grains. If it were me I would probably start back at 36.5 and work up again in .5 increments at -70 at 100yds in 3 shot groups. Pick a day when the mirage and wind are very low so that you can be fairly certain the groups you are getting have as little external influence as possible. From there if you are not pleased with the best group you get, I would start over with another powder or bullet combo. Hopefully you wont have to do that! but I have had to before and have had completely different and much better results by just trying a different powder or bullet or both.

Bigguy
08-09-2014, 11:20 PM
Bigguy. Im still pondering the data you put up. Drop is fixed but when dealing with line of sight of the scope and the trajectory of the barrel the bullet makes a curve and the scope line of sight is straight. Im beginning to wonder if there may be merit to your comment and you have me curious.

First thought is velocity drop is a fixed constant and it doesnt matter how many clicks up you dial the spread will be the same. But you think of the line of sight intersecting the ballistic curve and you may have brought up something ive heard nothing about so far.

I had not heard of it either. I was just playing with the tables when it hit me in the face. Something to look at.