PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: 99A that has wandering impact point

admiral1960
07-01-2014, 11:02 PM
Hi,

A friend has a model 99A (SN B098xxx) that will not sight in.

The impact point wanders.

After shooting three rounds and adjusting the scope to move the impact point you would expect the impact point to shift in the general direction you want.

This rifle you cannot predict where it will be impacting after adjusting the scope.

It has had three different scopes, all checked to see if mounts were loose.

The barrel was touching the stock but this has been corrected so a paper will slide between the barrel and stock.

Four different people have shot it with the same results. Two of the four are excellent shots. I am at least average and the owner is 83 but shoots an M1 with open sights pretty well.

I read that earlier rifles with 1 in 14" twist have problems with 100 gr bullets and that later rifles with 1 in 10" twist handle the heavier bullets without a problem.

This is a later 99A made in 1970 - 1974 and it should have the 1 in 10" twist so I do not think that is the problem.

Anyone have any ideas ??

Thanks !!

Mad Dog
07-03-2014, 09:05 PM
Had the same problem with a Savage 110 in 7mm-08 once. Tried 5 different scopes, 2 different sets of mounts and even went and bought a brand new Savage 7mm-08 with no changes. Realised the gun shop sold me 4 boxes of crappy ammo and sold the new gun for what I paid less the taxes, live and learn. The older 7mm-08 shot 3/4" groups after I bought good ammo.

I'm not saying that's what your problem is, in fact I think your forearm is most likely binding on the barrel. Take the forearm off and use a rest and try again. If it starts shooting good groups buy a small rubber o ring and slip it inbetween the forearm and screw.

olskool
07-13-2014, 08:06 AM
you don't say what cal.? if it is an old 250-3000 yes you need to shoot a 87 gr. bullet or lighter. or you may need to recrown the barrel.

Mad Dog
07-13-2014, 08:49 PM
It's a 70's 99A with the 1-10" twist, pretty sure it's a 250 Sav if he stated the fact that the older ones had a 1-14" twist.