PDA

View Full Version : vortex viper hs lr question about BDC reticle

ottawacats
07-01-2014, 04:04 PM
I have been looking at this scope for awhile but have a question and hopefully someone can answer it. I have read in some reviews that some people find the reticle lines too fine for low (dawn/dusk) light conditions. So I'm hoping that someone has this scope and can comment about it. I will be using it on a varmint gun, so of course will be hunting (dawn/dusk) and it also will be used for bench practice. Issue is the store in my area that carries Vortex doesn't have this model for me to handle and check out. Also if there is another brand scope that fits the price point please let me know.

Vortex viper hs 4-16x44 lr

chukarmandoo
07-04-2014, 12:25 AM
My first vortex was the hs 4-16x44. I did not keep it. I didn't think the reticle was to fine but turrets didn't have enough elevation. I then got the hs 4-16x50 this had more travel and is a fine hunting scope. the elev. turret is uncapped and the windage is capped. The only thing I really don't like about this scope is the BDC. The vortex viper hs-t 4-16x50 is (I think) a better scope.

Savage6x284
07-06-2014, 06:52 AM
I had that scope for a while and I found the BDC reticle on par with most other BDC reticles. That is to say I disliked it.
All the BDC reticles I've used are merely a duplex reticle if it's anything but fully light out.
The scope was very good optically and it is loaded with some very nice feature for the price point.
The main reason I sent it away was that it was way too heavy at nearly 20oz.
It unbalanced every rifle I tried it on.

ottawacats
07-07-2014, 07:23 AM
I had that scope for a while and I found the BDC reticle on par with most other BDC reticles. That is to say I disliked it.
All the BDC reticles I've used are merely a duplex reticle if it's anything but fully light out.
The scope was very good optically and it is loaded with some very nice feature for the price point.
The main reason I sent it away was that it was way too heavy at nearly 20oz.
It unbalanced every rifle I tried it on.

Thank you both for the info. I have only ever hunted with a crossbow up till this past winter, first thing I missed was my bdc recticle. I will see if the shop has any vortex scope in stock with bdc and check it out first. The weight isn't or wasn't to much or a concern as was getting good glass for the dollar. Is there a different brand that you recommend instead of vortex?

matt

yobuck
07-07-2014, 09:26 AM
Glass is heavy, and good glass the heavier.

josh_m
07-07-2014, 11:08 AM
I have this scope on my 6.5 grendel. I have only had it out twice but I like the fine reticle. Ill break it out this evening try and snap a picture of a target for you.